Re: Announcements: New fic and ATW info

  • Annie
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2007
      Morvana,

      You bring up a good point. I know that I for one would rather read the
      original epilogue for a fic I enjoy, no matter the circumstances.
      However, an alarmingly large number of people have made it clear
      through reviews and e-mails that they just want to see Hermione and
      Draco get together, and that they like the idea of my writing an
      alternate epilogue. I really don't mind writing another epilogue, so
      I'm doing it for those people :P

      You're right, though; I can honestly say that I think my original is
      far superior in terms of writing and style (perhaps not plot, since
      I've always been a terrible judge of that) to the remake. Don't worry,
      I'm definitely still going to post the original online, whether I use
      it as the real epilogue or put it up separately (any preferences as to
      which?).

      Anyway, thanks so much for your input! :D

      - Annie

      --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "morvana_dumiruvor"
      <morvana_dumiruvor@...> wrote:

      > I, too, would like to see Hermione and Draco together, but the thing
      > is, I've seen fics where the author had to rewrite then ending to
      > placate their readers, and the second ending wasn't nearly as good as
      > the first. If you've already read the first ending, it's like you
      > know how it REALLY happened. It's like seeing something happen, and
      > then telling yourself it didn't happen. You know how the author wrote
      > it, and the author is to all intents and purposes the one who
      > witnessed it all. Also, the second ending can never be written nearly
      > as well as the first, because it's been baked, cooked, and fried. The
      > original is raw and bloody, but the best part of the meal!
      >
      > Morvana
      >

      > --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <shmexsay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm glad you like my fics! :) I definitely agree with you; quite a few
      > > others have already told me that I don't hold any obligations to
      > > anyone, but I do have a few selfish reasons for doing this. Mostly,
      > > it's just because I'm sick of receiving e-mails and reviews
      > > complaining about the ending. I'm sure most of the people who are
      > > bothering me about it right now will stop if I give them what they
      > want.
      > >
      > > I don't have any problems with writing a different epilogue, and I
      > > certainly don't intend to just throw away the original, because I'm
      > > rather fond of it. I'm still going to post it for those who can stand
      > > to read an ending in which Draco and Hermione don't miraculously get
      > > back together :P
      > >
      > > - Annie
      > >
      > > --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, "byulh" <byulh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey, I'm a new reader to your works, and they're definitely
      enjoyable.
      > > > :) But in my humble opinion, you should appease yourself and
      what you
      > > > think is best for your characters, so whether who belongs to who
      isn't
      > > > really the fans' decision, is it?
      > > >
      > > > What I'm really saying is that please don't feel obligated to always
      > > > placate the fanbase, write as you would and what your characters
      want
      > > > to do.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers :)

    • morvana_dumiruvor
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 13, 2007
        Annie--

        I think you should post the original with the rest of the story. It
        will make the story feel complete. I mean, even if your readers feel
        they should have a say in the outcome, the original should always be
        with the story. If they want to read something of their own choice,
        they should have to go find it themselves. I'm a little brutal, of
        course, but I just think that it's your baby and it should be
        comfortable to you. You know "The Secret Window" with Johnny Depp?
        He made up an entirely new personality because he wrote the wrong
        ending. Granted, I don't think you'll do that, hahaha, but I still
        think you should honor yourself before allllll else.

        Anyway, I take it that Hermione and Draco don't end up together since
        you're writing an entirely different ending to cater to that wish. I
        like that you're sensible about how things should turn out. In all
        practicality, it truly <i>wouldn't</i> work out. I wrote a fic that
        was originally intended to be Draco/Hermione, but in the end, I just
        couldn't see it really happening, so they ended up with different
        people. I just like that better. Anyway, good luck!!

      • Annie
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 14, 2007
          Morvana,

          Once again, I agree with. I might change my mind about posting the
          revised epilogue with the rest of the story; it depends on how good it
          turns out. I'm still half-way through writing it, and I haven't found
          the time to work on it lately. We'll see :)

          You're right about Hermione and Draco not ending up together. I was
          originally going to not reveal what happens in the epilogue, but I
          don't want to give anyone false hope, because a lot of people seem to
          be very passionate about them ending up together. The original
          epilogue I wrote is rather like the epilogue I wrote for The Sweetest
          Sin... a lot of flowery language, symbolism, and emotion. It doesn't
          really take the plot anywhere, but I'm rather fond of it all the same,
          because I've had that epilogue written out in my mind ever since I
          began the story. Anyway, if you've read my other stories, it shouldn't
          come as a surprise that Hermione and Draco don't end together... I
          don't think I've ever written a fic in which they do :P

          <morvana_dumiruvor@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > <morvana_dumiruvor@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I, too, would like to see Hermione and Draco together, but the thing
          > > > is, I've seen fics where the author had to rewrite then ending to
          > > > placate their readers, and the second ending wasn't nearly as
          good as
          > > > the first. If you've already read the first ending, it's like you
          > > > know how it REALLY happened. It's like seeing something happen, and
          > > > then telling yourself it didn't happen. You know how the author
          wrote
          > > > it, and the author is to all intents and purposes the one who
          > > > witnessed it all. Also, the second ending can never be written
          nearly
          > > > as well as the first, because it's been baked, cooked, and
          fried. The
          > > > original is raw and bloody, but the best part of the meal!

        • morvana_dumiruvor
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 14, 2007
            Annie--

            Actually, I have read some of your fics, particularly Sweetest Sin. I
            liked that one, although it pales in comparison to ATW. I think it's
            because ATW is just so hopelessly <i>real</i>. It's rare that you
            find a fan fiction that portrays changes, falling in love, and
            conflict as well as this one does. What is says to me is that you're
            probably an Austen fan--she's probably the best writer in the world
            for the whole conflict thing. I was wondering, also, if you plan to
            write original fiction in the future, to be published? My personal
            opinion is that writing fan fiction is a great preparation for writing
            original fiction because not only do you get feedback, but it gives
            one great practice with characters, description, and laughably,
            originality. Iuno, I was just wondering.

            Good luck with that epilogue! ^.^

          • Renet Roy
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 14, 2007
              awwwww.... .i seriously wanted them to come back together.... i mean that would be sooooooo romantic... not that mean to make it sound all soppy or anything... but it would have been really nice, if he and hermione came together... i mean he's gone through a lot and having a real happiness would have been sooooooo cool..........
                                                                              charmed13

              <morvana_dumiruvor@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > the first. If you've already read the first ending, it's like you
              > > > know how it REALLY happened. It's like seeing something happen, and
              > > > then telling yourself it didn't happen. You know how the author
              wrote
              > > > it, and the author is to all intents and purposes the one who
              > > > witnessed it all. Also, the second ending can never be written
              nearly
              > > > as well as the first, because
              it's been baked, cooked, and
              fried. The
              > > > original is raw and bloody, but the best part of the meal!
              > > >
              > > > Morvana

              > a few
              Mostly,
              > > > want.

              > stand

              > > enjoyable.
              > > what you
              your characters, so whether who belongs to who

              The fish are biting.
            • morvana_dumiruvor
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
                Charmed13--

                It would be lovely for them to get together, but I honestly don't
                think that Hermione and Draco could ever stay together for so many
                reasons. I mean, it's lovely to think that true love conquers all,
                but if true love is battling true loves of other types--such as loving
                friendships nurtured all the way through the awkward years (ages
                11-17)--sometimes it just doesn't work. You can bet your bottom that
                Ginny, Ron, and Harry would battle Hermione/Draco with all they had.
                They might be able to put up with Malfoy in the workplace, but do you
                think they would EVER talk to Hermione again if she ditched Ron for
                Malfoy? Doubtful.

                Again, I would like Hermione and Draco to be able to work a
                relationship, much the same way I would like two of my best friends to
                stay together because you don't want to see them mess up a romantic,
                beautiful relationship. But there's nothing you can do if it just
                won't work. It's sad, isn't it? : (

                --- In anniesfanfiction@yahoogroups.com, Renet Roy
                <charmed_girl2002@...> wrote:

                > awwwww.... .i seriously wanted them to come back together.... i mean
                that would be sooooooo romantic... not that mean to make it sound all
                soppy or anything... but it would have been really nice, if he and
                hermione came together... i mean he's gone through a lot and having a
                real happiness would have been sooooooo cool..........

                charmed13

              • Annie
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Morvana,

                  You're right; I'm a *huge* Austen fan. I haven't read all her novels
                  yet, but I adore her style and characters. I've never consciously
                  drawn inspiration from her works, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it
                  shows in ATW.

                  I'm pleased that you see ATW that way, because I intended for the
                  story to be more real and grounded than SS. My writing style has
                  changed a lot since the days of SS; I now find it a lot easier to
                  write fics like ATW, which have less of a fantastical feel to them.

                  As for original fiction, I've thought about it more than once. I guess
                  the reason why I haven't seriously given it a try yet, though, is that
                  I feel much safer in the HP world. The world JKR has created is solid
                  and reliable, and it's something I'm comfortable with. But you're
                  right; fan fiction is definitely a good lead in to original fiction.
                  I've kept that in mind ever since I started writing fan fiction.
                  Someday (hopefully someday soon) I'll gather the courage to make the
                  leap :P

                  <morvana_dumiruvor@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > course, but I just think that it's your baby and it should be
                  > > > comfortable to you. You know "The Secret Window" with Johnny Depp?
                  > > > He made up an entirely new personality because he wrote the wrong
                  > > > ending. Granted, I don't think you'll do that, hahaha, but I still
                  > > > think you should honor yourself before allllll else.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyway, I take it that Hermione and Draco don't end up together
                  since
                  > > > you're writing an entirely different ending to cater to that
                  wish. I
                  > > > like that you're sensible about how things should turn out. In all
                  > > > practicality, it truly <i>wouldn't</i> work out. I wrote a fic that
                  > > > was originally intended to be Draco/Hermione, but in the end, I just
                  > > > couldn't see it really happening, so they ended up with different
                  > > > people. I just like that better. Anyway, good luck!!

                • morvana_dumiruvor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Annie--

                    I love Austen's characters, too. My FAVORITE character, funnily, is
                    Mrs. Bennet. She just <i>kills</i> me. If you've never seen it, you
                    need to see the 1980 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. My
                    grandmother gave it to me, and it is just TOO funny. The woman that
                    plays Mrs. Bennet is just spot on. I think that was Austen's best
                    trait as a writer. She could create characters with timeless humor
                    and compassion so that app two centuries later, we can still
                    appreciate and love her characters. So many authors (Tolkien most
                    prominently) before modern fiction created unrelatable characters that
                    have no personality. Eowyn and Arwen didn't have ANY personality
                    until Peter Jackson gave them their personality. Anyway, Austen's
                    immortal writing also transfers easily into other societies. The
                    Indian version, Bride & Prejudice, is one of my favorite movies ever,
                    just because it takes the characters and keeps them very real and very
                    Austen-ic. I think Dickens is very similar. He's pretty good with
                    characters.

                    I can definitely tell the difference between SS and ATW. If you ever
                    check the reviews, you'll see that I mentioned how I liked SS, but
                    that ATW is written better. SS is not as real and is quite
                    fantastical (and yet, still pulled it off without dazzling the reader
                    too much). It's funny because when I was reading fan fiction off
                    FanFiction.net, I was used to critiquing EVERYTHING, even if I loved
                    it. I haven't critiqued your writing once (which makes me feel very
                    useless, but at the same time relieved since it's not irritating at
                    all). It just goes to show how much better FictionAlley is--being
                    selective is a GOOD thing for readers.

                    As for original fiction, you should let your fans know when you begin
                    writing because I can see that you'd do well. Already your writing is
                    better than some authors I've read (Sarah Dessen and Sara Douglass
                    among them) and I think that you'd do well. If you ever do original
                    fiction, what genre would you do? Young adult? Fantasy? General
                    fiction?

                  • Annie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Morvana, (ack, I feel terrible for flooding everyone's inboxes with my
                      consecutive messages >.<)

                      Mrs Bennet is hilarious! IThe relationship between her and her husband
                      is brilliant. But my favourite character in P&P is most definitely Mr
                      Darcy (which probably doesn't come as a surprise, considering my
                      obsession with Draco, who's pretty much a slightly more psychotic,
                      evil version of Darcy). I've only see the 1995 and 2005 screen
                      versions, but I'll definitely check out the 1980 one.

                      I really haven't a clue what genre I'd write if I were to start
                      original fiction. I'd probably dabble a bit in fantasy, but the thing
                      is, it's difficult to write a unique fantasy story when there are so
                      many amazing classics out there (Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the
                      Rings, Harry Potter, etc.). I guess I'll just go wherever inspiration
                      takes me.

                      <morvana_dumiruvor@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      Sin. I
                      > > > liked that one, although it pales in comparison to ATW. I think
                      it's
                      > > > because ATW is just so hopelessly <i>real</i>. It's rare that you
                      > > > find a fan fiction that portrays changes, falling in love, and
                      > > > conflict as well as this one does. What is says to me is that
                      you're
                      > > > probably an Austen fan--she's probably the best writer in the world
                      > > > for the whole conflict thing. I was wondering, also, if you plan to
                      > > > write original fiction in the future, to be published? My personal
                      > > > opinion is that writing fan fiction is a great preparation for
                      writing
                      > > > original fiction because not only do you get feedback, but it gives
                      > > > one great practice with characters, description, and laughably,
                      > > > originality. Iuno, I was just wondering.

                    • akna12
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 15, 2007
                        hahahaha!!! i LOVE pride and prejudice! its like my fav book!!!
                        other than hp of course! mr darcy is a bit like draco now that u
                        mention it, but thats okay; hes cool in his own way! i like the old
                        better for sooooooo many reasons!!! see ya for now!
                        ~dragonlady12

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        has
                        > > > changed a lot since the days of SS; I now find it a lot easier
                        > > > write fics like ATW, which have less of a fantastical feel to
                        them.

                        > > > As for original fiction, I've thought about it more than once.
                        I guess
                        > > > the reason why I haven't seriously given it a try yet, though,
                        is that
                        > > > I feel much safer in the HP world. The world JKR has created
                        is solid
                        > > > and reliable, and it's something I'm comfortable with. But
                        you're
                        > > > right; fan fiction is definitely a good lead in to original
                        fiction.
                        > > > I've kept that in mind ever since I started writing fan
                        fiction.
                        > > > Someday (hopefully someday soon) I'll gather the courage to

                      • morvana_dumiruvor
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 16, 2007
                          Annie--

                          I love Darcy, too. You'll especially like him in the 1980 version.
                          The actor really makes him look like a jerk, but when he
                          smiles...hehe. He's not all that fabulous looking, and even Wickham
                          looks like Ned from School of Rock. Anyway, I definitely thought that
                          Draco was very Darcy-like (haha, rearrange the letters, replace the y
                          with an o and what do you get?). He was very difficult to like at the
                          beginning but he still fell in love with Hermione/Starlight against
                          his "better" judgment. Oh how I love it when that happens.

                          For original fiction, I've always had difficulty. I like writing
                          fantasy a lot, but you're right--originality is really hard. When I
                          started reading LotR, I kind of wondered what the fantasy genre was
                          like, and I wandered into that and found that Douglass, Marillier, and
                          Haydon were some of the best authors I've EVER read. I think fantasy
                          is some of the best literature in the world just because if you can
                          pull it off, you've done something that many authors have difficult
                          with. It's amazing, too, that the genre just keeps getting bigger,
                          thanks to authors wanting to do young adult fantasy, like Tamora
                          Peirce. Young Adult in itself is a widening genre. I LOVE Sarah
                          Dessen, just because her books have the kinds of day to day philosophy
                          that we teenagers so often miss if we don't think about it on our own
                          accord. Plus she's really good at writing first person which is
                          REALLY difficult. Iuno if you've ever seen the movie "How To Deal"
                          but it's based (very poorly I might add) on two Sarah Dessen books.

                          Ta

                          Morvana