Fwd: [Delaware Anime Society] Fwd: Newtype USA goes bye bye

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2008
      ramothhe <ramothhe@...> wrote: To: delawareanimesociety@yahoogroups.com
      From: "ramothhe" <ramothhe@...>
      Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:31:52 -0000
      Subject: [Delaware Anime Society] Fwd: Newtype USA goes bye bye

      WOW Newtype is ceasing publication!! Oh man...

      --- "Nicholas" <nikorasu86@...> wrote:

      http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-01-09/newtype-usa-to-cease-
      publication

      Newtype USA is ceasing publication after the February issue, although
      I don't know if that means the "February" issue that comes out in
      January or the "March" issue that actually comes out in February (what
      is up with that anyway?).

      ADV, who publishes the USA version of Newtype magazine, licenses the
      name from Kadokawa Shoten, who publishes the original Japanese version
      of Newtype. ADV seems to be planning to replace Newtype with a
      different magazine, which begs the question of if ceasing Newtype USA
      has to do with the license of the name itself. I hope it's more of as
      licensing issue than it is problems from ADV. With them shutting down
      the 24/7 channel version of The Anime Network and Anime ADVocates
      still "under construction," it doesn't look too good simply from an
      outside view to see these things happen in such close proximity of
      each other.

      Part of me is sad to see Newtype go. It is one of, if not the most
      notable anime fandom magazines published in the US. The other part of
      me is kind of meh. Newtype is still kind of expensive, especially
      considering its target market. There's still other magazines like
      Otaku USA and Protoculture Addicts to pick up the pace, but still, the
      Gundam fanboy in me is sad at the loss of the name.

      I wish ADV luck with the next magazine.

      -Nicholas "Niko" Qualls, MTSU Anime Club

      --- End forwarded message ---

      DAS C.hief E.xecutive O.taku
      Delaware Anime Society: The Rising Sun in the First State and Beyond
      http://www.delawareanimesociety.com

      Zenkaikon 2008 Co-Chair
      http://www.zenkaikon.com
      Support the ASPCA and save a life!