The Whole Story

  • raesvelg
    Message 1 of 133 , Jan 7, 2002
      For those who are "out of the loop" ;) the whole
      story is this. Sometime during the night of Friday the
      21st of December, someone broke into the store through
      the fire door at the rear and made off with pretty
      much all of the Dragonball Z DVDs, Cards, and the
      money out of the register. This was our first serious
      break-in ever, and the first one period at this location.
      So, picking through the pieces, it was unknown on the
      next day whether the person had in fact broken in
      through the back door, or had instead hid inside the
      store and left through it. The fire lock was damaged,
      but whether or not it had been so before the break-in
      was anyone's guess. Not knowing for sure, Greg asked
      me to see what I could do to block of the inner door
      (the door to the storage room where the fire door is,
      the "Pocket Dimension"), so I dumped the table boards
      used by the miniatures gamers in between the door and
      the washer/dryer. In short, nothing without a fire
      axe was coming though that door. Which proved
      fortunate, since they tried again on Xmas night. After
      busting the lock to the fire door (this time completely)
      they found themselves stymied by the 5 sheets of wood
      blocking them in. First, they apparently assumed that the
      door was locked and tried to burn through it (metal
      door) with what appears to have been a creme broulet
      torch (no joke). After this failed, they beat on the
      door for a while, and it moved just enough for them to
      realize that it was just blocked not locked, so they
      tried really pushing on it, to no avail. Failing that,
      they tried prying the door open with a bit of metal
      they found in the storage room, and that failed.
      Having now given up all hope of entering the store, they
      hopped the divider over into the video store and broke
      in there, only to trigger their alarm system and
      flee. <br><br>Then they apparently came back AGAIN a
      day or two later and broke the door open AGAIN (this
      time it had a rather jury rigged lock, a bar screwed
      into the door which failed to hold) and were stopped
      cold by the new lock on the inner door. After that I
      went back and instituted a proper jury rigged lock
      (metal bar through the handle, pinning it against the
      doorframe. Nearly unbreakable) and now we have a new
      firelock on that door so nobody is getting in through
      there again.<br><br>Still, all things considered, Greg
      has decided that before we restart any of the
      after-hours activities of the store, that we should have a
      security system installed. So next month should be on
      (barring the intervention of Katsucon) but for right now
      when the store closes, everyone is gone.
      Message 133 of 133 , Feb 1, 2002