Any thoughts about those Yahoo Japan middlemen?

  • C D Carson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
      I've been thinking about buying some things through Yahoo Japan
      Auctions, but not only do most of the sales not ship out-of-country,
      many of the Japanese sellers only take Japanese payment methods.

      I know there are firms out there on the Net which specialize in serving
      as middlemen for this kind of transaction, but I've never used any of
      them. I'm wondering if anyone else on here has, & if I can get
      information on which ones to prefer or avoid.

      Much thanks!
      --publius--
    • kazekirifx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
        > I know there are firms out there on the Net which specialize in serving
        > as middlemen for this kind of transaction, but I've never used any of
        > them. I'm wondering if anyone else on here has, & if I can get
        > information on which ones to prefer or avoid.

        Back in the days before I lived in Japan, I used to use this one.
        http://shoppingmalljapan.com/

        Back then, they were called "Anime Chaos".

        The most well-known one is Rinkya, but back in the day I remember having reasons for preferring Anime Chaos. Can't quite recall the reasons now.

        Both charge quite a bit for the service, but it's worth it if there's something you really want that just can't be found outside Japan.

        If I ever move back to the U.S., I'd probably use it again...
      • lons_vex
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2010
          I used them in the past: http://jigsco.com/auc/auction.html

          A friend of mine who collects MUSE discs uses Rinkya, other people I know use "Noppin". Hard to tell which service is the best. I haven't heard any reasons yet why one service should be avoided. I guess it all comes down to payment methods and fees.

          Cheers, Alex,