Re: Any suggestions for a good reference book

  • fwstrain
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
      I made a list of books that I thought were really good for another
      website. (list and link below)It's hard for me to rank them by
      importance because they all have many pros and really few cons. If you
      want to save a little money and have a book you can carry with you to
      reference on hikes I've seen older first edition copies of the
      Peterson's field guide for $7 that are in new condition. Rezendes' was
      my first bought book and it was great as an introduction because it
      talks about the ecology of the animals. It's a little large to carry
      in your backpack and its somewhat regional in that it doesn't have
      animals from the south west. At some point you're going to want
      Elbroch's book(s) it's great, but it's very large at 700 plus pages
      and lists for $45.

      My new favorite book is Animal Tracking Basics. It is a GREAT
      companion book for any field guide to tracking you end up getting and
      it is the only book I wish I had bought sooner.

      Fielder

      How-to Tracking Books:

      Mammal Tracks & Sign: A Guide to North American Species by Mark Elbroch
      Bird Tracks & Sign : A Guide to North American Species by Mark
      Elbroch, Eleanor Marks, and C. Diane Boretos
      Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign by
      Paul Rezendes
      Animal Tracking Basics by Jon Young and Tiffany Morgan
      Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks: Third Edition by Olaus J.
      Murie, Mark Elbroch, and Roger Tory Peterson
      Tom Brown's Science and Art of Tracking by Tom Brown
      Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking by Tom
      Brown Jr.

      http://www.meetup.com/austinTrackingAndPrimitiveSkills/pages/Tracking_info/