Re: [Animal Tracks] Any suggestions for a good reference book

  • Dave Hawkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2009
      Joe
      Thanks I've read Kearneys book before I'll look into the other book.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2009
        In addition to those others, I like Paul Resendez's book, and also James
        Lowery's book. The best value as far as investment is the Peterson Field
        Guide to Animal Tracks.
        Kim

        > Does any one have a suggestion for a good book to get started
        > identifying animal tracks? I was looking at one from Tom Brown the
        > other day which looked good to me but I was wondering if there was a
        > good book to start out with?

      • bigtargetnj
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2009
          --- In animaltracks@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hawkins <dhawkin2@...>
          wrote:

          > Joe
          > Thanks I've read Kearneys book before I'll look into the other book.
          >

          > Dave

          Well here are 2 useful books that may interest you:
          TACTICAL TRACKING OPERATIONS- David Scott-Donelan(Former Rhodesian
          Selous Scout)

          THE SASGUIDE TO TRACKING-Bob Carss(former British SAS)

          Though these mainly deal with military operational tracking.
          Principles also apply to animals
        • fwstrain
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
            I made a list of books that I thought were really good for another
            website. (list and link below)It's hard for me to rank them by
            importance because they all have many pros and really few cons. If you
            want to save a little money and have a book you can carry with you to
            reference on hikes I've seen older first edition copies of the
            Peterson's field guide for $7 that are in new condition. Rezendes' was
            my first bought book and it was great as an introduction because it
            talks about the ecology of the animals. It's a little large to carry
            in your backpack and its somewhat regional in that it doesn't have
            animals from the south west. At some point you're going to want
            Elbroch's book(s) it's great, but it's very large at 700 plus pages
            and lists for $45.

            My new favorite book is Animal Tracking Basics. It is a GREAT
            companion book for any field guide to tracking you end up getting and
            it is the only book I wish I had bought sooner.

            Fielder

            How-to Tracking Books:

            Mammal Tracks & Sign: A Guide to North American Species by Mark Elbroch
            Bird Tracks & Sign : A Guide to North American Species by Mark
            Elbroch, Eleanor Marks, and C. Diane Boretos
            Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign by
            Paul Rezendes
            Animal Tracking Basics by Jon Young and Tiffany Morgan
            Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks: Third Edition by Olaus J.
            Murie, Mark Elbroch, and Roger Tory Peterson
            Tom Brown's Science and Art of Tracking by Tom Brown
            Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking by Tom
            Brown Jr.

            http://www.meetup.com/austinTrackingAndPrimitiveSkills/pages/Tracking_info/