Raccoon Scat around other animal dens

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
      Hey everyone,

      I recently found an area in prairie grass that has 6 or 7 different
      den holes. The area is well used with paths coming from every
      direction. There are no tracks, as the dirt is packed very hard.
      There are some small bones laying around which made me think int was
      either fox or coyote. However, there is raccoon scat all around the
      area in large piles. You can hardly walk among the dens without
      stepping in something. My question is, is it likely that raccoons are
      using those dens, or do they come by to "mark territory"? Any help is
      greatly appreciated.

      Bill
    • Lu Canas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2006
        --- In animaltracks@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <koko61254@...> wrote:
        >Bill,
        Raccoons will use abandoned coyote or fox dens, they normally like to
        be near water when they eat but it is not necessary. Do you live in an
        area where Badger would be suspect?
        Lu

        > Hey everyone,
        >
        > I recently found an area in prairie grass that has 6 or 7 different
        > den holes. The area is well used with paths coming from every
        > direction. There are no tracks, as the dirt is packed very hard.
        > There are some small bones laying around which made me think int was
        > either fox or coyote. However, there is raccoon scat all around the
        > area in large piles. You can hardly walk among the dens without
        > stepping in something. My question is, is it likely that raccoons are
        > using those dens, or do they come by to "mark territory"? Any help is
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Bill

      • William Eaker
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
          Thanks for replying Lu! I live in northwestern Illinois where badgers are supposed to exist, but I have never seen, or even heard of one being around my area. Since this post, I have watched this area closely, but have never seen anything come out of the dens. I have seen both fox and coyote in the area. There is a canal watersource near by as well. Thanks again.

          Bill

          Lu Canas <lucan_tracker@...> wrote: --- In animaltracks@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <koko61254@...> wrote:
          >Bill,
          Raccoons will use abandoned coyote or fox dens, they normally like to
          be near water when they eat but it is not necessary. Do you live in an
          area where Badger would be suspect?
          Lu

          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I recently found an area in prairie grass that has 6 or 7 different
          > den holes. The area is well used with paths coming from every
          > direction. There are no tracks, as the dirt is packed very hard.
          > There are some small bones laying around which made me think int was
          > either fox or coyote. However, there is raccoon scat all around the
          > area in large piles. You can hardly walk among the dens without
          > stepping in something. My question is, is it likely that raccoons are
          > using those dens, or do they come by to "mark territory"? Any help is
          > greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Bill

        • M.E.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006
            Normally raccoons choose a community "latrine" in the
            vicinity of their den and use it for all defecation.
            The scat would not be just "all around" and randomly
            dropped, but rather piled with obvious newer scat on
            top of older more decomposed scat.

            As the prior post said, raccoons do re-occupy dens
            created originally by animals like fox, coyote, ground
            hog or badger. Typical badger or ground hog dens
            would not always be in areas also desired by raccoons,
            but sometimes their chosen residences overlap.

            One word of warning... raccoon feces do contain
            Baylisascaris Procyonis (raccoon roundworm). Don't
            get so close to it such that you might touch the feces
            or the area around it or inhale the microscopic eggs.
            They can be very dangerous to adults and fatal to kids.

            http://mail.yahoo.com