Tracking question

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7 10:05 PM
      I can appreciate your frustration. In the Arizona area, specifically in Sabino Canyon, Tucson, there supposedly have been many sightings of Mountain lions "stalking" the visitors of the park. Appears the "visitors" have no clue which species they have actually sighted. When the animal is identified, the atruth ranges from cottontails to bobcats. No wonder they have had such difficulty tracking and finding Mountain lions.

      Unfortunatly it is a difficult task, educating the public, they appear to prefer ignorance and fear.

      Deb Schadewald
      Wildlife Biologist
      EMT-Environmental Monitoring and Telemetry

      Part of the problem lies in the fact that many people really have no
      idea what it is they are looking at. Several years ago a woman who
      had recently moved out here from a city asked me to drive over to her
      place and look at a track she that had found in 2 inches of snow very
      near to her house. She was convinced that it was the track of a
      cougar (mountain lion), and she was very concerned since it was so
      near her home. I drove over there, and I really didn't know how
      tactfully tell her what it was after I looked at the track. It was a
      rabbit! No kidding! Fool's Day is past, and this isn't an
      April
      Fool's Day joke!

    • kumquats_on_parade
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9 11:57 PM
        Funny you should mention the mountain lion story in Sabino Canyon.
        I just read an article on the subject:

        "Lion captured by snare in Sabino Canyon near school

        By ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN
        Associated Press Writer

        TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- State wildlife biologists captured a mountain
        lion Friday in Sabino Canyon using a snare set near a recently
        killed deer, an Arizona Game and Fish Department spokesman said.

        The animal was captured in a wash in the canyon about a half-mile
        northeast of a middle school and a quarter-mile from a home.

        The lion, a female 2 to 3 years old and weighing 80 pounds, was
        sedated and transported in good condition to the Southwest Wildlife
        Rehabilitation and Education Center in Scottsdale, department
        spokesman Bob Miles said.

        Wildlife biologists are confident the animal is the same one seen
        March 18 in a parking lot outside Esperero Canyon Middle School,
        Miles said.

        That confidence was based on the animal's size and tracks, "but more
        importantly, just the location," noting its capture close to the
        school, he said.

        Miles said biologists believe the animal was continuously using the
        area where it was caught because of the deer kill, which probably
        occurred Tuesday or Wednesday.

        The lion was anesthetized at the capture site, then carried down to
        a waiting truck and placed in a transport trailer for the drive to
        Scottsdale, Miles said.

        The lion will remain in captivity, Miles added.

        Game and Fish officials had called off efforts to capture lions in
        the canyon 11 days earlier. But one critic, Daniel Patterson of the
        Center for Biological Diversity, said, he believed "they were
        dishonest about discontinuing the hunt."

        "A killed deer is not a threat to people," Patterson said. "It
        sounds like they basically baited that lion using that deer. The
        Forest Service and Game and Fish don't like mountain lions, and they
        never discontinued the hunt. I sure feel lied to."

        Biologists began efforts to capture the lion Wednesday after a U.S.
        Forest Service employee discovered a deer freshly killed by a lion
        near the school.

        The canyon was already open to visitors when the animal was caught
        around 6:30 a.m. Friday, and one jogger running nearby watched,
        Miles said.

        Forest Service officials had closed Sabino Canyon for three weeks in
        March while trying to capture mountain lions in the national
        recreation area. Game and Fish officials originally announced that
        they would track and kill three or four potentially threatening
        lions they believed were behaving abnormally.

        But they instead decided to capture and move the lions to a
        rehabilitation center in Scottsdale after widespread criticism from
        members of the public, conservation groups and Gov. Janet Napolitano.

        School administrators, parents of students at Esperero Canyon and
        Canyon View Elementary School were notified of the capture, as well
        as some area homeowners' associations and the governor's office,
        Miles said.

        Game and Fish will continue to monitor and investigate all reported
        sightings of lion activity in the Sabino Canyon area, the department
        said."

        Here's a picture of the captured mountain lion:

        http://azgfd.com/images/nrm/media/web_sabino_lion.jpg