Re: URGENT: Help Protest Rodeo in City of Industry--La Puente, CA This Saturday!

  • hpladonna
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2002
      HI, Colleen!
      I live in Texas or I would go. I did the next best thing though and
      passed this around to friends in CA.. Thanks for the word up!
      LaDonna

      --- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., Colleen Klaum
      <wildfawn1@y...> wrote:

      > PLEASE HELP protest the "17th Annual Industry Hills Pro
      Rodeo" thisSaturday, October 12, 2002 at 5:00 PM, Industry Hills
      EquestrianCenter, 16200 Temple Ave., City of Industry, CA, at the
      entrance tothe rodeo near the ticket booth. Please participate
      and/or spread theword. We will have posters, banners and
      flyers.>From Route 10, exit Azusa Ave. in West Covina, and go
      south towardCity of Industry/La Puente, turn right on Temple,
      going west, to theequestrian center, turn left and up the hill to the
      ticket booth area. From Route 60, exit Azusa Ave. in La Puente
      (Puente Hills Mall) andgo north, turn left on Temple to the
      equestrian center. There will berodeo signs. Parking is
      free.Further information for those who are just learning about the
      rodeo:Rodeo, at the very least, is no fun for the animals, results
      intorment, harassment, and stress being inflicted upon them,
      and exposesthem to the probability of pain, injury, or death.
      Fifteen animalshave died in California rodeos alone (that we
      know about) since 1995,and countless animals have been
      injured. Injuries and deaths arecommonly hidden from the
      public as evidenced by bull, John Henry, whosuffered a broken
      leg and was sent to slaughter at the Valley Centerrodeo earlier
      this year. Organizers and the stock contractor lied,indicating he
      was okay. Also no mention in the ESPN televisedcoverage of the
      National Rodeo Finals last December when Great Plains,a
      horse who suffered a broken back while bucking had to be
      euthanized. The camera went away from the horse going down.
      Also on televisedcoverage of calf roping, you never see the
      instant the calves areabruptly jerked back and totally off the
      ground, when caught by therope around their neck. The camera
      always goes to the horse. Calfroping is the least enjoyed by
      rodeo patrons, especially children. The calves are terrorized and
      can have whiplash injuries or evenbroken necks. This event has
      been banned by several municipalities.Some stock contractors
      even want it stopped. Pasadena, just lastyear, banned rodeos
      as well as the exhibiting of wild and exoticanimals on city
      property. A recent survey by the Professional RodeoCowboys
      Association (PRCA) even showed that of 57 rodeos there were
      38animal injuries. This was found on their
      website,www.prorodeo.com <http://www.prorodeo.com> . Rodeo
      organizers will have you believe that this is educational,
      --ourheritage, but it is not. Rodeos are not an accurate or
      harmlessportrayal of ranching skills; cowhands never rode bulls
      or wrestledsteers, unless they were daring each other; never
      broke a horse overand over; and were careful not to harm calves
      when roping them, unlikethe rodeo contestants, when they are
      roped hard and fast in order toget the fastest time for prize
      money. Every animal protection organization in our country is
      opposed torodeos, not only because of the cruelty to the
      animals, but alsobecause of what it teaches kids, -- human
      dominance over animals; thatit's okay to use and abuse animals
      any way we want. Well, it's notokay. It's not humane. It displays
      and encourages insensitivity tothe acceptance of brutal
      treatment of animals in the name ofentertainment. Such callous
      disregard of our moral obligations towardother living creatures
      has a negative impact on society as a whole andon
      impressionable children in particular. We don't have to
      harminnocent beings for entertainment, nor should we as a
      civilizedsociety. Thousands of elementary students have been
      bused in the Fridaymornings before the official performances
      and they are scheduled,again, to watch the rodeo this Friday at
      9:00 AM. We have written toDr. Edward Lee Vargas,
      Superintendent of the Hacienda/La PuenteUnified School District
      that invites other district's to participate,that we sincerely feel
      this
      is in violation of State Education Codes. We strongly urged that
      this practice be stopped immediately. Morepolite, but strong,
      letters would be helpful.The address is P.O. Box 60002, City of
      Industry, CA 91716-0002. Code #233.5. Teaching of Kindness
      to Pets, Humane Treatment, etc., Requireda) Each teacher shall
      endeavor to impress upon the minds of the pupilsthe principles
      of morality, truth, justice, patriotism, and a truecomprehension of
      the rights, duties, and dignity of Americancitizenship, and the
      meaning of equality and human dignity, includingthe promotion
      of harmonious relations, kindness toward domestic petsand the
      humane treatment of living creatures, to teach then to
      avoididleness, profanity, and falsehood, and to instruct them in
      mannersand morals and the principles of a free
      government.......Code #51540. Humane Treatment of Animals in
      Schools andSchool-Sponsored ActivitiesIn the public elementary
      and high schools or in public elementary andhigh school
      school-sponsored activities and classes held elsewherethan on
      school premises, live vertebrate animals shall not, as part ofa
      scientific experiment or any purpose whatever:a)Be
      experimentally medicated or drugged in a manner to cause
      painfulreactions or induce painful or lethal pathological
      conditions.b)Be injured through any other treatments, including,
      but not limitedto, anesthetization or electric shock.Code #60042.
      Education Material to Encourage Humane Treatment ofAnimals
      When adopting instructional materials for use in the
      schools,governing boards shall require such materials, as they
      deem necessaryand proper to encourage thrift, fire prevention
      and the humanetreatment of animals and people.

      > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our
      hearts, and warmth to our souls."

      > Colleen Klaum
      >
      > "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his
      dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his
      treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

    • Colleen
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2002
        Anytime Donna.

        *Colleen* (Catwoman)

        --- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., hpladonna <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > scientific experiment or any purpose whatever:a)Be
        > experimentally medicated or drugged in a manner to cause
        > painfulreactions or induce painful or lethal pathological
        > conditions.b)Be injured through any other treatments, including,
        > but not limitedto, anesthetization or electric shock.Code #60042.
        > Education Material to Encourage Humane Treatment ofAnimals
        > When adopting instructional materials for use in the
        > schools,governing boards shall require such materials, as they
        > deem necessaryand proper to encourage thrift, fire prevention
        > and the humanetreatment of animals and people.
        > >

        > > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our
        > hearts, and warmth to our souls."
        > >
        > > Colleen Klaum
        > >
        > > "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his
        > dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his

      • dadto8sofar
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
          lol... Am I that predictable? Seriously though, aren't there abuses
          that have greater urgency than rodeos? I'm a hunter/farmer/meat
          eater, and even I agree that there are abuses going on. Why not
          battle the factory farms where animals rarely see sunlight, live on
          manure floors and breathe ammoniated air (before being slaughtered
          and sold as food) instead of harassing families watching a few
          healthy animals be inconvenienced for a while? Where are your
          priorities? To be honest, I think that ar's visibly protesting
          family events such as this is actually hurting your cause. You're
          annoying people to the point that they wont listen to you. Don't you
          guys at least want to put on the appearance of being reasonably
          minded, rational people?

          > I bet they would be alot happier at a farm sanctuary.
          > *Colleen* (Catwoman) I knew you would have something to say about
          it!!

          > dadto8sofar wrote:C'mon colleen!... Rodeos are fun. Only 15 died
          in California in 7
          > years? What are you complaining about? If they weren't used in
          > rodeos, they'd be meat. I bet the animals would rather be in
          > rodeos.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

          > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
          and warmth to our souls."

          > Colleen Klaum
          >
          > "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with
          men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
          Immanuel Kant

        • Colleen Klaum
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
            For your information, us AR people support all animal causes, even the ones that seem dumb to people like you!
            And I suppose you like watching circuses too?
            *Colleen* (Catwoman) If rodeos are entertainment to you, you need a life!

            dadto8sofar wrote:lol... Am I that predictable? Seriously though, aren't there abuses

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
              I don't really know if I like circuses. I haven't been to one since
              I was a little kid. But I have to tell ya, my interest has been
              peaked in circuses as of late. Recently on a walk in the park during
              lunch, there was an animal rights protest. They were protesting a
              circus coming to town. Their protesting technique was very unique.
              They had a very pretty and very naked girl in a cage in the middle of
              the park. I don't know how a naked girl is supposed to relate to
              animal rights, but it sure got lots of people's attention. The
              circus sold out.