News: Fears about "venison" safety could cause hunters to stay home

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
      From the article:

      CWD is seen as as a particular threat in Wisconsin,
      where the deer herd is estimated at 1.6 million head
      and hunting is a $1.5 billion industry.

      Wisconsin officials are concerned that fears about
      venison safety could prompt up to one-third of the
      roughly 700,000 hunters who turn out each year to stay
      home. Full article:

      Wisconsin governor wants USDA to expand deer tests
      http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/17527/story.htm

      Colleen Klaum

    • razorhead145
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., Colleen Klaum <wildfawn1@y...>
        wrote:

        > From the article:
        >
        > CWD is seen as as a particular threat in Wisconsin,
        > where the deer herd is estimated at 1.6 million head
        > and hunting is a $1.5 billion industry.
        >
        > Wisconsin officials are concerned that fears about
        > venison safety could prompt up to one-third of the
        > roughly 700,000 hunters who turn out each year to stay
        > home. Full article:
        >
        > Wisconsin governor wants USDA to expand deer tests
        > http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/17527/story.htm
        >

        > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
        and warmth to our souls."

        > Colleen Klaum
        >
        > "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with
        men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
        Immanuel Kant

        Not only do hunters want the USDA to expand testing, they want
        research dollars spent to find out exactly how this is spread, and
        most importantly, how did it magically jump three states?

        Now it's turned up in Minnesota, bringing the total to six states,
        plus Alberta, CD. (Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Texas, and
        Wisconsin)

        It's related to scrapie in sheep and "mad cow" in bovines, it's very
        possibly transmissible between deer and elk, the prion can only be
        destroyed by incineration (forest fires are NOT hot enough) It's
        found in urine, saliva and feces of infected animals, it can survive
        indefinately in soil.

        It's one nasty-ass protein, and it's ready to do trillions of dollars
        damage ecomically. And the land owners in Wisconsin are listening to
        the bunny huggers saying "...you can't kill all those deer!..."

        Hmph. Lock and load.
      • Colleen Klaum
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
          Hmmmmm, I'm one of those bunny-huggers razorhead. There has to be another way around this besides killing all those deer.
          *Colleen* (Catwoman)

          razorhead145 wrote:--- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., Colleen Klaum <wildfawn1@y...>
          wrote:

          > From the article:
          >
          > CWD is seen as as a particular threat in Wisconsin,
          > where the deer herd is estimated at 1.6 million head
          > and hunting is a $1.5 billion industry.
          >
          > Wisconsin officials are concerned that fears about
          > venison safety could prompt up to one-third of the
          > roughly 700,000 hunters who turn out each year to stay
          > home. Full article:
          >
          > Wisconsin governor wants USDA to expand deer tests
          > http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/17527/story.htm
          >

          > "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
          and warmth to our souls."

          > Colleen Klaum
          >
          > "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with
          men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
          Immanuel Kant

          Not only do hunters want the USDA to expand testing, they want
          research dollars spent to find out exactly how this is spread, and
          most importantly, how did it magically jump three states?

          Now it's turned up in Minnesota, bringing the total to six states,
          plus Alberta, CD. (Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Texas, and
          Wisconsin)

          It's related to scrapie in sheep and "mad cow" in bovines, it's very
          possibly transmissible between deer and elk, the prion can only be
          destroyed by incineration (forest fires are NOT hot enough) It's
          found in urine, saliva and feces of infected animals, it can survive
          indefinately in soil.

          It's one nasty-ass protein, and it's ready to do trillions of dollars
          damage ecomically. And the land owners in Wisconsin are listening to
          the bunny huggers saying "...you can't kill all those deer!..."

          Hmph. Lock and load.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Colleen Klaum

        • razorhead145
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2002
            wrote:

            > Hmmmmm, I'm one of those bunny-huggers razorhead. There has to be
            another way around this besides killing all those deer.
            > *Colleen* (Catwoman)
            >

            > Not only do hunters want the USDA to expand testing, they want
            > research dollars spent to find out exactly how this is spread, and
            > most importantly, how did it magically jump three states?
            >
            > Now it's turned up in Minnesota, bringing the total to six states,
            > plus Alberta, CD. (Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Texas,
            and
            > Wisconsin)
            >
            > It's related to scrapie in sheep and "mad cow" in bovines, it's
            very
            > possibly transmissible between deer and elk, the prion can only be
            > destroyed by incineration (forest fires are NOT hot enough) It's
            > found in urine, saliva and feces of infected animals, it can
            survive
            > indefinately in soil.
            >
            > It's one nasty-ass protein, and it's ready to do trillions of
            dollars
            > damage ecomically. And the land owners in Wisconsin are listening
            > the bunny huggers saying "...you can't kill all those deer!..."
            >
            > Hmph. Lock and load.

            Maybe some day there will be. But for today, when it's a spectre
            bearing down on us, it's really very different. This isn't like AIDS,
            that can be prevented by behavioral changes; this exists in and out
            of the bodies of infected animals, may even be absorbed and
            retransmitted by the food supply (it may be absorbed into browse
            plants and spread as they are eaten). It's possible it's in the
            ecosystems of fifteen states. How prevalent does it need to be before
            it's detected? There isn't a live animal test for it, there isn't a
            treatment for it, it's spreading every day, this is the Black Plague
            of the North American cervid population. If it keeps hunters out of
            the woods in the next few years, you're really going to have a
            problem on your hands, and your state will need to hire sharpshooters
            to bring the herd down to a point it can be controlled by another
            means, and where's that money going to come from? Or more
            importantly, what is it going to take the moeny away from? State law
            mandates it comes from the F&G Dept, so what other programs get
            suspended or trash-canned?

            This has more to it than simply an eradication of 700 sq mi of deer
            herd, I'm sorry to say.
          • Colleen Klaum
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2002
              For people who don't consume meat, why would there be a problem?

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
                wrote:

                > For people who don't consume meat, why would there be a problem?
                > *Colleen* (Catwoman)

                Biodiversity. The ecosystem NEEDS the deer every day. Without them,
                great upheaval in The Force.

                > razorhead145 wrote:--- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., Colleen
                Klaum <wildfawn1@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hmmmmm, I'm one of those bunny-huggers razorhead. There has to
                be
                > another way around this besides killing all those deer.
                > > *Colleen* (Catwoman)
                > >

                > > Not only do hunters want the USDA to expand testing, they want
                > > research dollars spent to find out exactly how this is spread,
                and
                > > most importantly, how did it magically jump three states?
                > >
                > > Now it's turned up in Minnesota, bringing the total to six
                states,
                > > plus Alberta, CD. (Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Texas,
                > and
                > > Wisconsin)
                > >
                > > It's related to scrapie in sheep and "mad cow" in bovines, it's
                > very
                > > possibly transmissible between deer and elk, the prion can only
                be
                > > destroyed by incineration (forest fires are NOT hot enough) It's
                > > found in urine, saliva and feces of infected animals, it can
                > survive
                > > indefinately in soil.
                > >
                > > It's one nasty-ass protein, and it's ready to do trillions of
                > dollars
                > > damage ecomically. And the land owners in Wisconsin are listening
                > > the bunny huggers saying "...you can't kill all those deer!..."
                > >
                > > Hmph. Lock and load.
                >

                > Maybe some day there will be. But for today, when it's a spectre
                > bearing down on us, it's really very different. This isn't like
                AIDS,
                > that can be prevented by behavioral changes; this exists in and out
                > of the bodies of infected animals, may even be absorbed and
                > retransmitted by the food supply (it may be absorbed into browse
                > plants and spread as they are eaten). It's possible it's in the
                > ecosystems of fifteen states. How prevalent does it need to be
                before
                > it's detected? There isn't a live animal test for it, there isn't a
                > treatment for it, it's spreading every day, this is the Black
                Plague
                > of the North American cervid population. If it keeps hunters out of
                > the woods in the next few years, you're really going to have a
                > problem on your hands, and your state will need to hire
                sharpshooters
                > to bring the herd down to a point it can be controlled by another
                > means, and where's that money going to come from? Or more
                > importantly, what is it going to take the moeny away from? State
                law
                > mandates it comes from the F&G Dept, so what other programs get
                > suspended or trash-canned?
                >
                > This has more to it than simply an eradication of 700 sq mi of deer
                > herd, I'm sorry to say.

              • Colleen Klaum
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
                  ok, now the English version please, lol.

                  wrote:

> [...]

                  before
                  > it's detected? There isn't a live animal test for it, there isn't a
                  > treatment for it, it's spreading every day, this is the Black
                  Plague
                  > of the North American cervid population. If it keeps hunters out of
                  > the woods in the next few years, you're really going to have a
                  > problem on your hands, and your state will need to hire
                  sharpshooters
                  > to bring the herd down to a point it can be controlled by another
                  > means, and where's that money going to come from? Or more
                  > importantly, what is it going to take the moeny away from? State
                  law
                  > mandates it comes from the F&G Dept, so what other programs get
                  > suspended or trash-canned?
                  >
                  > This has more to it than simply an eradication of 700 sq mi of deer

                • John
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2002
                    the English version is:

                    those deer are a vital part of the ecosystem, hunted or not, prey or
                    not. if you remove roughly 1.75million of ANYthing from Wisconsin,
                    something else in the environment is gonna end up bug squat, through
                    no fault of it's own. And the situation increases in damage
                    exponentially with every lost specie.

                    So, until biologists can get a handle on how CWD got there, how long
                    it incubates, how it's transmitted, how to test for it in a live
                    animal, how it's spread trans-specie, those deer are gonna have to
                    go. The safety of the rest of the deer herd and a lot of non-game,
                    non-agricultural fauna depend on it.

                    Look at it this way, it went from one to five, to 100 to 214 CWD
                    positive deer in less than a year. From elk to deer, from a captive
                    herd to the wild, from Colorado to Wisconsin and backtracking into
                    Minnesota.
                  • Colleen Klaum