Lions can't ride the bus, nor win the Superbowl

  • razorhead145
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., "purrrrrshia" <wildfawn1@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey, I'm still here razordude.
      >
      > *Colleen*

      Yo.
    • wclark1046
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 3, 2002
        --- In animalrightsdebateclub@y..., "theweebler2002"
        <askweebler@h...> wrote:
        > Some time ago, when I started arguing on the net, and I was up
        against
        > three, (or was it four?)antis..I found that they liked to throw
        around
        > expressions and terms like non sequiter, Straw man, and ad hominem.
        >
        > It didnt take me long to realize that these guys were doing it to
        make
        > themselves look smart, as they didnt really have any argument to
        offer.

        > So, as Ward asked, here is the definition of ad hominem:
        >
        > Changing the Subject
        > The fallacies in this section change the subject by discussing the
        > person making the argument instead of discussing reasons to
        believe or
        > disbelieve the conclusion. While on some occasions it is useful to
        > cite authorities, it is almost never appropriate to discuss the
        person
        > instead of the argument.
        >
        > There are three major forms of Attacking the Person:
        > (1) ad hominem (abusive): instead of attacking an assertion,
        > the argument attacks the person who made the assertion.

        You've done that. Repeatedly.

        > (2) ad hominem (circumstantial): instead of attacking an
        > assertion the author points to the relationship between the
        > person making the assertion and the person's circumstances.

        You've done that too. Repeatedly.

        > (3) ad hominem (tu quoque): this form of attack on the
        > person notes that a person does not practise what he
        > preaches.

        You do that on your Web site, in several places. You're a
        hypocrite, Weebs.

        > Right from the start Ward, you went into Attacking the Person 1)
        then
        > attempted a switch to 3). You did not even attempt to answer my
        > question I asked. You promised you would too--which has me very
        > disappointed.

        I answered all your questions, Weebs. You haven't answered mine
        yet.

        Where do you get your food, Weebs?

        > I, however, did not use ad hominem. While I certainly was
        > abusive(unless you love Leave it to beaver and were flattered by
        the
        > references) I did present an argument.

        You used an ad hominem, Weebs. You used a stupid, juvenile personal
        comment to distract.

        >> A damn fine one in fact. So
        > fine you totally ignored it--despite your promise that you would
        > dispense with it quite readily. Well you did--by not answering
        it. :)

        I did answer it. Read the post again.

        > So when is Uncle Billy going to show?
        > Hell--I will even consider Larry Wortman or Clarence Rutherford!

        And there you go again. You're too easy.