Attention : PA Residents

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2002
      TITLE: Attention: PA Residents

      Action Alert: Protect People & Wildlife

      Encourage Butler County to Enact Ban on Private Ownership of Exotic
      Animals

      Exotic animals -- lions, tigers, wolves, bears, large snakes, non-human
      primates - belong in their natural habitat and not in the hands of
      private individuals as "pets." By their very nature, these animals are
      wild and potentially dangerous and, as such, do not adjust well to a
      captive environment (From API's online fact sheet at:
      http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=308)

      For over a year, Western Pennsylvania has been fraught with increased
      incidences involving captive, privately owned exotic animals. First it
      was a captive python who killed 8-year-old Amber Mountain of Irwin, then
      a serval cat who escaped repeatedly in the city of Pittsburgh, invoking
      fear amongst neighbors. Most recently (05/14/02), a cruelty
      investigation by the Butler County Humane Society found a neglect
      situation where a woman was keeping a bear cub, raccoons, a woodchuck
      and other animals in squalor in her trailer in Butler County. The
      Pennsylvania Game Commission killed the animals after confiscation.

      These incidences are showing an increase in problems associated with the
      keeping of naturally wild animals by the general public. Butler County
      is currently considering a ban on exotic pets, following in the
      tradition of McCandless Township, PA and Cleveland, OH in banning
      dangerous and exotic wild animals.

      PLEASE write a letter to the editor to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review
      supporting a ban on the private ownership of exotic animals. Brandon
      Keats of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review recently wrote an article
      ("Officials to consider ban on exotic pets," 06/09/02) which can be seen
      at: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_75436.html. Especially
      make it a point to write if you are a resident of Butler County! Please
      keep your letters under 200 words, and remember to include your name,
      mailing address, and phone number (they need this information to print
      your letter). Letters to the editors should be sent to:

      Letters to the Editor
      Pittsburgh Tribune Review
      D.L. Clark Bldg.,
      503 Martindale Street, 3rd Floor
      Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      412-320-7965 (Fax)
      letters@...

      Also, PLEASE make sure to write a POLITE letter to Butler County
      Commissioners - especially if you are a resident of Butler County:

      Commissioner Glenn Anderson
      Commissioner Joan Chew
      Commissioner James Kennedy

      Butler County Courthouse
      124 West Diamond Street
      Butler, PA 16001
      (724) 285-4731

      Thank you! Please keep us updated on any responses you receive.
      Email PMcKosky@...
      In Defense of Animals (www.idausa.org) is an international, California-based
      animal advocacy organization dedicated to ending the abuse and exploitation
      of animals by defending their rights, welfare and habitats.
      IN DEFENSE OF ANIMALS * 131 CAMINO ALTO, SUITE E * MILL VALLEY, CA 94941 *
      415-388-9641

      It is the policy of In Defense of Animals to no longer use language that
      accepts the current concept of animals as property, commodities and/or
      things. Rather than refer to ourselves or others as "owners" of animals, we
      now refer to ourselves and others as "guardians" of our animal friends and
      to animals as "he" or "she" rather than "it." Guardians do not buy or sell
      animals; instead they rescue and adopt. We urge you, our members, to do the
      same.

      "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts, and warmth to our souls" Colleen Klaum