Re: No honor

  • wclark1046
    Message 1 of 6476 , Dec 3, 2001
      Slow down and think a moment.<br><br>Research
      uses relatively few animals from pounds, racetracks,
      and so on, for one thing. They aren't good research
      subjects; most projects use specifically bred, often
      genetically identical animals.<br><br>Further - the animals
      you complained they aren't required to report -
      rodents - are obtained from specialty
      suppliers.<br><br>They don't go out and trap rodents for studies. And,
      as far as I know, you don't find rodents in
      shelters, and I've yet to see a mouse racing
      track.<br><br>USDA/APHIS numbers for animals used in research in 1999, the
      most recent numbers I have, are as
      53,671<br>Other animals - 142,963<br>Total -
      1,213,814<br><br>Here, from the same source, is ther breakdown of
      pain/distress, treated and untreated,
      432,276<br>No Pain/Distress - 670,629<br>Total Animals in
      research - 1,213,814<br><br>Over half of the animals used
      are subjected to no pain or distress at all. Less
      than 10% are subjected to unalleviated pain or
      distress.<br><br>By comparison, about 20 million rodents are used in
      research every year. Roughly half are never subjected to
      pain or distress. I don't have a breakdown on what
      percentages are alleviated/not alleviated. Those figures come
      from APHIS also. <br><br>So, you see, we do have
      numbers. <br><br>As for how they are treated, you've
      produced no specifics. We've now established that less
      than 10% of non-rodent animals are ever subjected to
      unalleviated pain/distress, and maybe - at most - half of the
      rodents. And there's no breakdown yet of the benefits
      obtained for human and animal medicine both from this
      work.<br><br>But there's more - we haven't even scratched the
      surface yet. The use of animals in research is
      insignificant next to the routine use of animals in medical
      treatment. Would you like to explore that a little? Do you
      think screening donated blood for HIV is a good idea?
      How about pyrogen testing for implantable medical
      devices? Pregnancy testing? Sutures? Immunizations? All of
      those require the use of animals. Cell cultures,
      ballyhooed by the ignorant as an "alternative" to animal
      research, requires animal products directly, and AR's like
      Tom Regan routinely lie when they refer to cell
      culture as a "non-animal" alternative. <br><br>Why do you
      suppose they do that?
      Message 6476 of 6476 , Feb 6, 2002