Re: both sides deserve truth from USDA

  • wclark1046
    Message 1 of 6476 , May 1, 2001
      >>Pleco's argument makes more sense than
      your response. For one thing, animal rights activists,
      even the ones "swayed" emotionally be PeTA, have to
      put their money with their mouths are,
      literally.>><br><br>Resisting the temptation to point out that anyone who's
      given money to PeTA thinking they are 'helping animals'
      has been badly ripped off, I'll simply point out that
      people put their money where their mouths are every
      single day - every time they go to the grocery store, in
      fact.<br><br>>> It is not easy to boycott animal products in a
      meat-obsessed society, not to mention to resist the
      ever-present temptation to partake in the
      carnality.>><br><br>Sure it is. I know many people who are practicing
      vegetarians; there's no societal onus against vegetarianism.
      There IS and should be a societal onus on being a
      sanctimonious, self-righteous pain in the butt about it, and
      preaching at other people about the 'evils of eating meat.'
      I do not refer to open and voluntary debate as
      here, by the way. We all know the deal here. I do refer
      to the vegan 'evangelists' like the PeTA kook
      dressed as a carrot that appeared in front of a Boulder
      elementary school out here a year or so back.<br><br>
      >>Resisting socially accepted practices, particularly those
      that provide enjoyment, is not easy.>><br><br>It
      is if you make it your own business.<br><br>>>
      Being an animal rights advocate requires more than just
      yelling and screaming- it requires a fundemental change
      in one's lifestyle.>><br><br>So do many other
      things. So does being a dedicated hunter, for that
      matter. So does writng a 312-page book on the Animal
      Rights movement.<br><br>>>Therefore, it is
      accurate to say it is much easier and therefore probably
      more likely that meat-eaters are not considering the
      implications of their decisions than animal advocates
      are.>><br><br>It may be in some cases, it may not in others;
      you're engaging in an unsupportable gross
      generalization.<br><br>>>There is another aspect to all this: what makes it so
      hard to be an animal rights advocate is the
      sympathetic anguish one is forced to experience on a daily
      basis when internalizing the suffering endured my
      animals in our society.>><br><br>A rational
      analysis of the claims made by the AR groups will put the
      lie to many of their claims of 'suffering,'
      though.<br><br>>> It has made me, for one, a much sadder person
      than I was before I opened myself to
      comforting to only sympathize with those who are in the
      least duress, but once you open yourself up to the
      suffering of those who lack protection, any protective
      walls you might have had fall down.>><br><br>But
      your (generic 'your', mind) estimation of 'suffering'
      is based on the poorest of sources - the mouthpieces
      of the radical Animal Rights movement.
      Message 6476 of 6476 , Feb 6, 2002