Re: both sides deserve truth from USDA

  • isaacsfate
    Message 1 of 6476 , Apr 30, 2001
      Ward,<br><br>Pleco's argument makes more sense
      than your response. For one thing, animal rights
      activists, even the ones "swayed" emotionally be PeTA, have
      to put their money with their mouths are, literally.
      It is not easy to boycott animal products in a
      meat-obsessed society, not to mention to resist the
      ever-present temptation to partake in the carnality. Resisting
      socially accepted practices, particularly those that
      provide enjoyment, is not easy. Being an animal rights
      advocate requires more than just yelling and screaming- it
      requires a fundemental change in one's
      lifestyle.<br><br>Therefore, it is accurate to say it is much easier and
      therefore probably more likely that meat-eaters are not
      considering the implications of their decisions than animal
      advocates are.<br><br>There is another aspect to all this:
      what makes it so hard to be an animal rights advocate
      is the sympathetic anguish one is forced to
      experience on a daily basis when internalizing the suffering
      endured my animals in our society. It has made me, for
      one, a much sadder person than I was before I opened
      myself to it. It is much more comforting to only
      sympathize with those who are in the least duress, but once
      you open yourself up to the suffering of those who
      lack protection, any protective walls you might have
      had fall down.<br><br>Isaac
      Message 6476 of 6476 , Feb 6, 2002