Outside dogs

  • veganmom33
    Message 1 of 6476 , Jan 1, 1999
      I haven't had a chance to read alot of the posts
      lately but 3324 caught my eye.I have 2 dogs both who are
      indoors.I never understood why people kept animals as pets
      but did little more then feed then.I enjoy my dogs
      and they are a big part of my family.I have a 12 year
      old pitbull rescued at 3 months old.My other dog is a
      6 month old huskey puppy we rescued at 7 weeks.She
      along with her sister were dumped at a work site.The
      point I am trying to make is the difference in
      breeds-one being more able to handle cold weather.The huskey
      loves being outdoors in the colder weather but also
      loves being inside with us.As for wild animals being
      outside and able to survive vs pets.In nature dogs would
      dig dens or otherwise find shelter from the cold or
      rain.Chained dogs have no escape from the cold.Dogs left
      outside can still get frostbite,exposure and even
      dehydrate when their water freezes.The same goes for the
      heat.The huskey didn't seem to mind the heat although she
      was young in the summer.She was never left outside or
      over exercised either.The pitbull loves to cool off in
      her kiddy pool and sleep alot of the day in the air
      condition!Some life.I just can't imagine having a dog chained or
      left outside in the cold or heat all the time.<br>
      Bobbie
      Message 6476 of 6476 , Feb 6, 2002