OHIO Dog auction to return; protesters, too!!!!!!

  • Deb Donley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007
      PLEASE CROSSPOST

      HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!DEB
      Dog auction to return; protesters, too

      Friday, April 06, 2007 John Horton

      Plain Dealer Reporter
      The on-the-move Buckeye Dog Auction is back in Holmes County, with the next sale - and a sizeable protest - scheduled for April 21.
      Auction organizers recently contacted the Holmes County Sheriff's Office to hire an off-duty deputy to work security at the upcoming event, Capt. Dale Renker said. The sale will be in a rural area about 10 miles east of Millersburg, the same site as a February auction.
      Originally, organizers intended to sell the auction and move it to Geauga County beginning this month. The deal fell apart, however, amid opposition from Geauga officials and members of the local Amish community who did not want the controversy connected to the event.
      '); } --> Animal advocates critical of the dog-breeding industry said hundreds of protesters are expected to demonstrate outside the sale in two weeks.
      Neither Buckeye Dog Auction co-founder Ervin Raber nor Guernsey County kennel operator Harold Neuhart - who recently informed federal agriculture officials of his intention to purchase the auction - could be reached for comment on Thursday.
      To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
      jhorton@..., 800-962-1167

    • kristie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2007
        Deb:
        Hi! My name is Kristie Nitzsche. I would like to be there to protest. Is there a group going or meeting somewhere? My boyfriend and I live in Ohio. We will be there.
        I was thinking of letters to the editor and also many letters to the Holmes County commissioner or whoever approves this.
        Please email me and let me know what I can do. I would like to be involved as I have recently joined animal rights groups. I didn't know what to do before. Petland makes me ill. Thank you so much for letting us know. I called the journalist John Horton and got the address if you are interested.
        Kristie Nitzsche
        I love animals so much and this makes me so mad.