Habitat Loss

  • savethesnakes101
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      Habitat loss is the single biggest factor contributing to species
      becoming at risk and endangered. Wetlands are continually degraded,
      and forests,meadows, and other such habitats are destroyed through
      construction and over development. There are things though that we
      can all do to help conserve our valuable natural areas. Join or
      volunteer at local conservation societies and clubs. Most of these
      groups run on very limited funds and cannot hire a lot of staff.
      Your joining or volunteering will not only keep you networked with
      others who care about snakes, but it will also allow you to help by
      just giving your time.

      Because of habitat loss many small animals such as
      snakes,salamanders,squirrels,and other such creatures now need to
      live among humans, often in urban areas. There are a number of
      things we can do as people to be good `'neighbors'' with the
      animals. People can leave or put out cover for small reptiles and
      animals on their properties and gardens like rock piles and flat
      boards. Hedges and other vegetated borders along gardens also
      provide cover for small animals. If you do own land or a large
      property you can help by leaving portions of this `'natural'', these
      areas would be ideal for placing flat boards and rocks for shelter.
      Leaving south-facing rock slopes and rock outcrops is very important
      as these areas may be used as dens for hibernation and birth sites.
      You can also help snakes by not using chemical pesticides and other
      chemicals which may harm them.

      If you are going out to natural areas where snakes are or may be
      present please be respectful. This includes keeping an eye out for
      basking reptiles and foraging animals on paths when biking as to not
      run them over, and keeping dogs on leashes which may go over and
      disturb or injure basking animals. You can also Protect your town's
      natural habitats. Learn where the natural habitats are in your
      community and then try and work with the town conservation
      commission, conservation area, or department of parks and recreation
      to promote the use and understanding of these parks, ponds, and
      wetlands in your town. You can help preserve snake habitat by
      donating money to the Center for Ecosystem Survival. This is a group
      that raises money to buy areas of habitat from all over the world.
      This land is set aside for wildlife. The CES has purchased over 11
      million acres of habitat! Their website is
      http://www.savenature.org/ Another option is to visit the Nature
      Conservancy. The Nature Conservancy's mission is to preserve the
      plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity
      of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to
      survive.
      Nature Conservancy - http://www.nature.org/

      Note: I am not affiliated with the CES or the Nature Conservancy, I
      am merely suggesting these places as possible outlets to help.