TN Wildlife Resource Agency Kills 6 Pet Deer--Please Protest!!

  • Jenie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      Subj: Priority: Dickson, TN--OT--URGENT!!Six pet deer killed by TWRA-Tennessee Date: 12/7/2006 1:54:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time From: arianthor@...

      Dickson, Tennessee
      PERMISSION TO FORWARD!!!

      Dear Friends,
      I know many of you don't live in Tennessee but please read this story and let your heart lead you. Most of you do some type of animal rescue work or I wouldn't have your e-mail addresses. Some of you are family and friends and you know how passionate I am about animals.
      Animals are animals. We might say we rescue pits, cats, or just dogs but bottom line is we are animal rescuers. We wouldn't let any animal suffer if we can help. That is what makes us who we are...God directs us to take charge of the animals. Not just the domesticated ones but all animals. Gods laws are perfect, mans are not. Richard McEwen had a gift for rescuing injured deer. Deer that were suffering and would have died if not for him and his family. Mans laws took those precious babies away from him and killed them. They did this because Mr. McEwen had a voice and intended to use it for the animals he loved. Please read this news story and respond. It doesn't matter where you are...this was wrong.
      Thank you,
      Laura Mucerino
      Luvabull Foster Home
      Dickson, TN

      Six pet deer killed by TWRA - Wednesday, 12/06/06

      This is an unbelievable story.....I need your help to protest this horrible, horrible act that our Tennessee state government has committed.

      PLEASE READ THE ABOVE NEWS STORY!!! YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!

      These people are friends of ours. They loved these deer like we love our dogs and cats. All the deer they took in were injured and all would have died suffering in the wild. They weren't hurting anyone...TWRA(Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) came onto their property when they weren't home and took the deer to a wildlife reserve area where they promised the deer would live out their lives. It was bad enough to take them away from their home but at least they could visit them...Here they were starved and deprived of water. Richard McEwen complained numerous times about the conditions at the preserve. He took pictures for proof.
      Then we heard on the news last night that they had euthanized them all!!!!!! Without telling anyone or letting the McEwens at least say goodbye to them. We believe they did this to shut up the McEwens....
      Here are some facts:
      TWRA refused to let the McEwens see the deer after they were euthanized.
      They said the deer were buried but won't tell them where.
      Could it be that they wouldn't let them see the deer because they were "euthanized" with a bullet???
      Or maybe they weren't killed at all...maybe they were moved to another area so the McEwens would stop the protesting complaining...
      The McEwens are devastated to say the least...They are a wonderful, hard working, christian family who we have known for years and they need us to support them by protesting to the TWRA what a low-down sorry thing this is. These deer did not deserve to die....
      THE MCEWENS PLAN TO SUE TWRA! THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE FINDING AN ATTORNEY TO REPRESENT THEM. PLEASE E-MAIL THEM YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP IN ANYWAY YOU CAN. DONATIONS TO HELP WITH LEGAL EXPENSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATIED, BUT JUST A NOTE OF SUPPORT WOULD MEAN ALOT.

      THEIR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS: jazbmc@...

      Here are the names, numbers and in some cases e-mail addresses for TWRA...along with the Governor and State Representatives who are both from Dickson by the way...

      Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen
      Governors Office
      Tennessee State Capitol
      Nashville, TN 37243-0001
      615-741-2001
      phil.Bredesen@...

      Steve Patrick/TWRA Regional Manager
      615-781-6634

      Region 2 Office
      1-800-624-7406
      Sanndie Heidenway
      sandie.heidenway@...

      Gary Meyers/TWRA Executive Director
      615-781-6552

      TWRA Wildlife Division
      Melissa Cunningham
      melissa.s.cunningham@...

      General Counsel/Attorneys office
      615-781-6606

      State Senator Doug Jackson
      6A Legislative Plaza
      Nashville, TN 372430025
      615-741-4499
      Sen.doug.jackson@...

      State Representative DavidShepard
      25 Legislature Plaza
      Nashville, TN 37243-0244
      615-741-3513
      Rep.david.shepard@...

      Wednesday, 12/06/06
      Six pet deer killed by TWRA
      BY TERI BURTON
      THE DICKSON HERALD

      Richard and Brenda McEwen say they are living “the nightmare before Christmas” after they found out yesterday that the white tail deer the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency confiscated from the McEwen’s Vanleer property in the fall had been killed earlier in the morning.
      “My grandson even asked me if Santa Claus was going to come this year because they killed the deer,” said a tearful Richard McEwen as he explained what happened to the deer that had become his pets, some of them more than nine years old.

      “We’ve been cheated out of them,” McEwen said. “They were as tame as a cat.”
      The TWRA took the deer to the Cheatham Game Preserve in October, stating that it is illegal in the state of Tennessee to hold white tail deer or any other wildlife in captivity.

      McEwen said he and his wife visited the preserve several times and believe the deer weren’t fed or watered properly.

      “They took mine over there and practically starved them to death,” McEwen said as he displayed photographs of emaciated white tail deer that he said he took at the preserve.

      He said that when the deer were taken they were healthy, some weighing nearly 300 pounds.

      He showed photographs of a locked water faucet and empty water bucket he said he took at the preserve as well as pictures of campers he said were parked near the preserve with sanitation hoses lying directly on the ground, and dead animal carcasses in the woods.

      “You can’t even take a squirrel into captivity,” said Steve Patrick, TWRA regional manager, who confirmed the deer were in fact killed yesterday morning at the preserve. “We’ve kept deer in those pens off and on for years from other confiscations and we’ve never lost an animal due to starvation,” Patrick said. “We aren’t in the habit of taking animals to the preserve and starving them to death. There is a hunting area and there’s no raw sewage being dumped out there. The manager’s house is on the other side of that pen, so if that was occurring, he would stop it rather quickly.”

      Patrick said the reason the water faucet was locked was probably to prevent campers from using too much water.

      Patrick said the six deer were killed because the state wasn’t sure where they originally came from and TWRA wants to protect native wildlife from “chronic wasting disease,” which is prevalent in some western states and in New York.

      “We don’t have that here,” Patrick said. “A lot of it seems to be associated with deer in captivity.”

      McEwen, 46, said he was told when the state took the deer that they would live out the rest of their lives at the preserve.

      He said he plans to file a lawsuit against TWRA.

      “We’ve got to,” he said. “They came on my property, I wasn’t there, like they owned it.

      A taxpayer don’t have no rights. They (TWRA) work for us, we pay their salaries.”

      Patrick said he was unaware of that promise and he doesn’t believe McEwen has any grounds on which to sue.

      “Those animals are state property,” Patrick said. “I don’t know what those grounds would be. By law, they cannot possess white tail deer or any species of wildlife.”

      Patrick went on to say that “it’s regrettable that that had to happen.

      “You can’t take animals from the wild and get them accustomed to people and expect that we’re going to be able to turn them loose,” he said. “There are too many incidents all across this country where deer that have become accustomed to people have been injured and even killed.”

      McEwen said he’s told TWRA about others in the state who are keeping white tail deer in pens smaller than the property he kept his on. But, he said, his story has fallen on deaf ears.

      Patrick said he is not aware of McEwen’s revelations.

      “If he can provide us with names we’ll go and arrest those people as well,” Patrick said. “As far as I know he has not given us any names.”

      McEwen said some of the deer were given to him and none of them came from out of state. He said he has the support of the individuals who gave him the deer and said they assured him they would testify to that fact in court.

      He said some of the deer had been injured and were raised on bottles and human food.

      “They ate just like me,” he said. “They’d been hurt: run over by tractors and mowers and the mamas got killed.”

      McEwen said he’s been raising animals since he was six years old and said he’s ready to have a nervous breakdown over what’s happened.

      “Nobody in my family has made it to 60. I never took anything but an aspirin all my life,” McEwen said. “This has about got me down to a nervous breakdown. They didn’t have no right to kill them.”

      Post a Comment View All Comments

      another political act in our govt.....its a damn shame that you cant help animals.....i would rather go to the vet than a doctor,,,,animals cant talk!!!!!

      I THINK IT WAS GREAT THAT THIS FAMILY WAS CARING ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF THE DEER. THE WAY I SEE IT IS THOSE WERE JUST SIX LESS DEER THAT I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HITTING WITH MY CAR!

      Leave it to the authorities to take matters into their own hands. What makes me sick is the fact that these deer were once saved by this family to then be killed just because the authorities could kill them! We should be asking why they killed them in the first place. Of course they couldn't be put back into the wild, but the fact that you just kill just to kill, is without morals. This has become the chosen way of taking care of something, to just kill.

      This is a sad story for the family and the deer who did nothing to harm anyone. They say that "you can't take a wild animal from the wild and expect they can be turned out to the wild, yet why would they have to be killed? This is just one more way of man killing without reason.

      It is also sad that this agency felt they could come onto someone's property without consent. Where do our rights begin, and do we have any? It seems that is you call yourself an authority you can do whatever you want.

      All I can say is this is just another way that man uses his authority without taking into account the harm they are doing. This is a sad day for all.

      I am so mad at this story....Why would those crazy state workers kill to prevent the animal from being killed..It is like all they do is ask their friends,"Hey who do you want to make miserable today?", then go snoop around random peoples property, figure out who loves and cares for "illegal" wildlife, and take the animals away....It is completely senceless.....If I were in this gentleman's position I would sue to...I hope they fire all od the workers involved ...