Ask Portugal To Go Bullfight-Free * Vote Best Friends On CBS News w/ Katie Couric

  • Jenie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:40:26 -0500
      Subject: Ask Portugal To Go Bullfight-Free * Vote Best Friends On CBS News
      w/ Katie Couric
      From: Kinship Circle <kinshipcircle@...>
      To: 5 KINSHIP CIRCLE <kinshipcircle@...>

      From Kinship Circle Primary – Permission to cross-post

      9/30/06--Ask Portugal Cities To Go Bullfight-Free
      KINSHIP CIRCLE ACTION CAMPAIGN
      http://www.KinshipCircle.org

      IN THIS ALERT:
      1. Ask Tavira, Portugal To Go Bullfight-Free
      2. Ask Sintra, Portugal To Go Bullfight-Free
      3. Ask The Algarve Region (Portugal) To Go Bullfight-Free
      4. Vote Best Friends On CBS News With Katie Couric

      SOURCE OF INFORMATION:
      Miguel Moutinho | ANIMAL <miguel.moutinho@...>

      Please help the bulls and horses suffering in bullfights in Portugal
      http://www.cidadeantitouradas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=40

      Campaign Against Bullfighting
      http://www.bullfightingfree.org/

      #1 SAMPLE LETTER: To Municipality of Tavira
      Feel free to use portions of our letter, but please add some original
      thoughts. Hundreds of identical letters may lessen the impact.

      Mr. José Macário Correia
      President of the Municipality of Tavira
      Câmara Municipal de Tavira
      Praça da República
      8800-951 Tavira, Portugal
      emails: presidente@..., turismo@..., camara@...

      Dear Mr. José Macário Correia, President of the Municipality of Tavira,

      I respectfully ask you to take a groundbreaking stand against bullfights by
      refusing to authorize these blood spectacles in the municipality of Tavira.
      Please proclaim Tavira an Anti-Bullfighting City.

      There is nothing noble about a match that pits a confused bull against men,
      horses, and weapons. My own family does not spend money in cities that still
      host bullfights.

      Portuguese-style fights claim to spare animals in the ring. Still, bulls and
      horses are victimized in the name of entertainment. A horseman tries to sink
      three or four decorative javelins (bandarilhas) into the bull's back.
      Extreme pain drives the bull to pursue his horseback tormenter. Horses may
      be inadvertently impaled, even when the bull's horns are padded. Eventually,
      eight unarmed men (forcados) enter the ring to goad the worn down bull into
      charging them. The front man brutally seizes the bull's head in a choke
      (bull catch or pega de touros) to immobilize the bleeding animal. Outside
      the ring, the wounded bull languishes in a pen until he is slaughtered.

      In the arena, suffering is the point. Without the bull's prolonged agony,
      there is no show.

      Prior to a fight, bulls are conditioned to heighten aggression. They are
      typically prodded with electrical shocks. Handlers may subdue a bull with
      tranquilizers and laxatives, pound his kidneys, club his head with sandbags,
      or loop heavy weights around his neck for weeks. Sometimes they smear a
      bull's eyes with petroleum jelly or restrain him in darkness to obscure
      vision. Though illegal, some handlers shave inches off the bull's horns to
      impede his sense of direction.

      It takes only one bullfight for most tourists to lose respect for a culture
      that promotes animal abuse as sport or art. Animal protection organizations
      worldwide condemn all forms of bullfighting due to the cruelty inherent in
      both pre-fight rituals and the fight itself.

      Please keep me informed of any plans to permanently ban bullfights, so I may
      consider Tavira as a travel destination. I strongly urge you to make Tavira
      the first Anti-Bullfighting City in Portugal.

      Thank you for your valuable time and attention,

      #2 SAMPLE LETTER: To Municipality of Sintra

      Mr. Fernando Seara
      President of the Municipality of Sintra
      Câmara Municipal de Sintra
      Largo Dr. Vergílio Horta
      2714-501 Sintra, Portugal
      email: geral@...

      Dear Mr. Fernando Seara, President of the Municipality of Sintra,

      I respectfully ask you to take a groundbreaking stand against bullfights by
      refusing to authorize these blood spectacles in the municipality of Sintra.
      Please proclaim Sintra an Anti-Bullfighting Village.

      My own family is uncomfortable visiting any region that still hosts
      bullfights. We understand diverse cultures embrace a variety of customs, but
      a violent contest between humans and a disoriented and mutilated animal does
      not belong in the modern world.

[...]

      consider Sintra as a travel destination. I strongly urge you to make Sintra
      the first Anti-Bullfighting Village in Portugal.

      Thank you for your valuable time and attention,

      #3 SAMPLE LETTER: To the Algarve Region, in Portugal

      Secretary of State of Tourism: seturismo@...
      President of the Metropolitan Area of the Algarve: amal@...
      President of the Portuguese Institute of Tourism: correio@...
      President of the Regional Tourism Board of the Algarve: rtalgarve@...
      Civil Governor of Faro (capital of the Algarve): algarve@...
      President of the Regional Development and Co-ordination Commission of the Algarve: geral@...

      Dear Sirs,

      To make the lovely Algarve region a repeat destination for tourists, please
      take a groundbreaking stand against bullfights by refusing to authorize
      these blood spectacles. I urge you to proclaim the Algarve an
      Anti-Bullfighting Region, and gain worldwide approval for your decision to
      censure animal cruelty.

[...]

      horses, and weapons. In fact, it takes only one bullfight for most tourists
      to lose respect for any "tradition" that perpetuates animal abuse as sport
      or art.

      Please keep me informed of plans to permanently ban bullfights, so I may
      visit the culturally rich towns of the Algarve. I respectfully ask you to
      make the Algarve the first Anti-Bullfighting Region in Portugal.

      Thank you for your valuable time and attention,

      From: Miguel Moutinho | ANIMAL
      miguel.moutinho@...

      Please consider becoming active in your country to help ANIMAL and the
      League Against Cruel Sports. Contact: CidadeAntiTouradas@...

      Visit our campaign website:
      http://www.cidadeantitouradas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=40

      Please make a donation to ANIMAL today to make our campaign against
      bullfights possible in the Algarve and all across Portugal. Contact us to
      know how you can make a safe, easy and much needed donation:
      CidadeAntiTouradas@...

      Please also visit the League Against Cruel Sports:
      http://www.bullfightingfree.org/

      If you live in the UK, please contact the League Against Cruel Sports and
      actively support this campaign: http://www.bullfightingfree.org/

      Vote now for Best Friends on CBS News with Katie Couric

      From: Kathi McDermott <kathim@...>
      Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006

      Hello Everyone,
      The CBS Evening News is asking viewers to vote on stories for next week’s
      “Assignment America”. One of this week’s three choices is:

      *** Animal Refugees: How Best Friends Animal Society brought 300 dogs and
      cats to the U.S. from Beirut.

      That’s the one all the newly arrived pooches and kitties here are voting
      for! And they hope you and your best friends will, too! Place your vote at:
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/03/eveningnews/main1276706.shtml

      Voting ends at Noon Eastern Time on Sunday, so please join in and do it right now!

      Thanks so much,
      Your friends at Best Friends.
      P.S. One other thing: Please forward this around to friends and family.
      Between us all, we can reach a big audience on the Evening News.

      Remembering Shannon Moore
      http://memoriesofshannon.blogspot.com/
      http://www.legacy.com/NOLA/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=18017409

      Grant Giving / Investment Opportunity:
      The Next Step to Reduce Animal Testing
      Cruelty-Free * Human Rights-Friendly * Sustainable
      Please contact ethicalinvestment@... for information.

      * Make sure the “To” line from our original alert is in your email, LIKE THIS: