KFC Abandons Plans to Enter Tibet after appeals from HH Dalai Lama

  • may_all_be_happy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2005
      *KFC Abandons Plans to Enter Tibet*

      http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/dalailama.asp?c=114

      After receiving an appeal from His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin
      Gyatso, KFC has abandoned plans to open its first restaurant in Tibet.
      The victory comes after international media coverage of His
      Holiness'
      appeal, including this story from the BBC.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3836927.stm

      His Holiness is the head of the Tibetan government-in-exile and
      spiritual leader to the more than 350 million Buddhists worldwide. The
      Dalai Lama, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, has long been
      known to speak out on social justice issues ranging from China's
      occupation of Tibet to the problems associated with globalization.
      Now, His Holiness has lent his voice to the 750 million chickens
      raised and killed for KFC each year by writing a powerful appeal to
      KFC, asking the company to cancel its plans to expand its growing
      Chinese operation into his homeland of Tibet.

      http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=dalai_lama_kfc View
      PETA video

      In his appeal, His Holiness writes, "On behalf of my friends at
      People
      for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), I am writing to ask that
      KFC abandon its plan to open restaurants in Tibet, because your
      corporation's support for cruelty and mass slaughter violate
      Tibetan
      values … I have been particularly concerned with the sufferings of
      chickens for many years. It was the death of a chicken that finally
      strengthened my resolve to become vegetarian. … These days, when
      I see
      a row of plucked chickens hanging in a meat shop it hurts. I find it
      unacceptable that violence is the basis of some of our food habits.
      …
      It is therefore quite natural for me to support those who are
      currently protesting against the introduction of industrial food
      practices into Tibet that will perpetuate the suffering of huge
      numbers of chickens." Click here

      http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/pdfs/letter-dalailama.pdf to read
      the entire letter.

      The Dalai Lama wants KFC to stop slicing the beaks off baby birds
      without pain relief, stop breeding and drugging birds to grow so obese
      that their legs break and stop scalding millions of chickens to death
      in slaughterhouses every year. Click here
      http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/animals.asp
      for a complete explanation of PETA's recommended changes for KFC.

      *Complete HH Dalai Lama letter to KFC* (for those having trouble with
      adobe)

      APPEAL

      On behalf of my friends at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
      (PETA), I am writing to ask that KFC abandon its plan to open
      restaurants in Tibet, because your corporation's support for
      cruelty
      and mass slaughter violate Tibetan value.

      I have been particularly concerned with the sufferings of chickens for
      many years. It was the death of a chicken that finally strengthened my
      resolve to become vegetarian. In 1965, I was staying at a Government
      Guest House in south India. My room looked directly on to the
      kitchens opposite. One day I chanced to see the slaughter of a
      chicken, which made me decide to become a vegetarian.

      Tibetans are not, as a rule, vegetarians, because in Tibet vegetables
      are often scarce and meat forms a large part of the staple diet.
      However, it was considered more ethical to eat the meat of larger
      animals such as yaks than small ones, because fewer large animals
      would have to be killed. For this reason, consumption of fish and
      chicken was rare, in fact traditionally we thought of chickens only as
      a source of eggs, not as food themselves, and even eggs were seldom
      eaten because they were thought to dull the sharpness of mind and
      memory. Eating chicken only really began with the arrival of the
      Chinese communists.

      These days, when I see a row of plucked chickens hanging in a meat
      shop it hurts. I find it unacceptable that violence is the basis of
      some of our food habits. When I am driving through the towns near
      where I live in India I see thousands of chickens in cages outside
      restaurants ready to be killed. When I see them I feel very sad,
      because in the heat they have no shade or relief, and in the cold they
      have no shelter from the wind. These poor chickens are treated as if
      they were merely vegetables.

      In Tibet, buying animals from the butcher, thereby saving their lives,
      and setting them free was a common practice. Many Tibetans, even in
      exile, continue this practice where practically possible. It is
      therefore quite natural for me to support those who are currently
      protesting against the introduction of industrial food practices into
      Tibet that will perpetuate the suffering of huge numbers of chickens.

      Yours sincerely,

      (Signature of HH Dalai Lama in Tibetan)