PM’s decision not to send Veda to Armenia hailed

  • jayasimha N.G
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      London, May 01: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's
      reported decision not to send Veda, a six-year-old
      female elephant from Bannerghatta National Park near
      Bangalore, to an Armenian zoo has been hailed by
      UK-based born free foundation, saying India was
      leading the way for other nations to follow.

      "We are absolutely delighted that Dr Singh has made
      this compassionate decision to keep Veda in
      Bannerghatta where she belongs," said Virginia
      McKenna, founder of the Born Free Foundation, an NGO
      working for animal welfare, and star of the film Born
      Free.

      "There is no doubt in my mind that the suffering Veda
      would have had to endure through being uprooted from
      her family would have been immense. I would like to
      thank all those that have offered us their support in
      this campaign", she said.

      McKenna said "India is leading the way for other
      nations to follow" and added "we truly hope that the
      use of animals as diplomatic gifts will soon become a
      thing of the past, and would like to strongly
      encourage other countries to follow India's example."

      Earlier, when it was announced that Veda was to be
      sent to Armenia to join the only male elephant in
      Yerevan zoo there, animal rights activists opposed it
      pointing at the conditions in the Armenian zoo.

      Alison Hood, head of campaigns for Born Free
      Foundation recently visited the Yerevan zoo in
      Armenia.

      "The conditions at the zoo are clearly inappropriate
      for elephants," said hood. "Yerevan suffers severe
      winters, with temperatures often falling below
      freezing (point), in stark contrast to the conditions
      Veda currently enjoys in India."

      Bureau Report

      GREATNESS OF NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS
      CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED- M.K GANDHI.
      STOP HUMAN AND ANIMAL SUFFERING - GO VEGAN
      I am only one but still I am one. I cannot do everything but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
      Helen Keller 1880 - 1968