THE POPE AND THE HOMELESS CATS: John Paul II Had a Dream

  • jayasimha N.G
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      THE POPE AND THE HOMELESS CATS: John Paul II Had a
      Dream
      by J.R. Hyland

      The first time I read the account of Pope John Paul
      II’s dream, the thing that surprised me most was the
      fact that it was included in the book God’s Broker.
      Published in 1984, the book was the result of 200
      hours of conversation with the Pope. These interviews
      began soon after the author, Anton Gronowicz, was
      introduced to the Pope in 1979 and continued for two
      years, in the Pontiff’s apartment at the Vatican.

      An American citizen of Polish descent, Gronowicz was
      the longtime friend of many highly place
      [clergypeople]. And in the prologue to his book, he
      explains how he was able to circumvent Vatican
      bureaucracy. “Stefan Cardinal Wyszynski, Primate of
      Poland, introduced me to the Pope, acquainted me with
      Vatican circles, and convinced the Holy Father that he
      should bypass the Vatican Department of State and
      grant me private interviews.”

      Subtitled The Life of John Paul II as Told in His Own
      Words, the subject matter of the book ranges from
      reminiscences of the time when the Pope was known as
      Karol Wojtyla, a young man living under the Nazi
      occupation of Poland, to his reflections on social
      justice issues, theology, and church doctrine. And in
      the midst of these human-centered concerns, the author
      devotes four pages to a dream the Pope related to him,
      about a homeless cat.

      This surprising interpolation might lead to the
      conclusion that the author understood the significance
      of the dream: that he was sensitive to the plight of
      God’s other creatures and the way they are abused. But
      the comments he makes as the Pontiff relates his dream
      indicate he had little understanding of the
      implications of what he was being told. But from the
      way in which this dream preserved its vigor and
      immediacy so many years later, it is obvious that it
      was very important to John Paul and [that] he fully
      understood its implications.

      In his dream, John Paul follows a homeless mother cat
      who was trying to find food and shelter for herself
      and her kittens. She is turned away by those who lack
      nothing themselves and by men who represent the
      various faces of established Christianity.

      The dream took place in 1969 the night before the
      Pope, known then as Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, was to
      visit New York City for the first time. It was late
      summer and he had been touring Canada. He spoke of the
      beauty of its fields and forests and how he had wished
      for more time to walk in woods vibrant with color and
      with his “ears filled with the songs and voices of
      animals.”

      In the midst of this discussion of Canada, the Pope
      abruptly changed the subject and said: “The night
      before my departure from Canada to New York, which I
      had never seen, I had a strange dream.” But his dream
      was not of beautiful forests, warm with the summer
      sun. It was of a crowded city, frigid with the cold of
      a northern winter. And although he had never been
      there, his dream captured the way Manhattan looks and
      feels after a major snowstorm.

      “It was a terribly severe winter in New York; the city
      was completely covered with snow. Inhabitants were
      well off and warmly dressed and walking slowly along
      roads because cars, due to mountains of snow, could
      not be operated. I was happy that I could walk on top
      of the snow on avenues of white.

      “All my physical effort was spent on walking. To this
      day, pictures of huge apartment houses on both sides
      of the avenue are instilled in my mind and the doormen
      quickly closing and opening entrance doors as though
      trying to prevent humanity and warmth from escaping.

      “On top of the snow, I noticed a brown cat emerge from
      a side street and walk on the snow. I looked closer
      and, to my surprise, saw that this big cat was being
      followed by six small brown-and-white kittens, all of
      them following the big brown cat in a perfect line.
      The mother cat looked back from time to time to see if
      her babies were there, but her main concern was to
      reach the entrance door. I presumed she was trying to
      find warmth for herself and her children, but as soon
      as she reached the door, a man in a well-pressed
      uniform jumped at her with a broom and chased them
      away. I followed this procession and prepared to
      deliver a speech to the doorman. I opened my mouth and
      tried to complain, ‘Where is your proverbial American
      generosity? Where is your American good heart and fair
      play? Let them in. Let them in!!’

      “I tried to speak, but the words would not come out.
      Maybe I was afraid of the doorman with the broom. I
      started searching my cassock pockets for a piece of
      bread, found some crumbs, and put them on my palms,
      calling, ‘Kitty, kitty, kitty.’ But the words would
      not come from my supposedly intelligent mouth.
      Instead, the wind blew the crumbs from my palm, and I
      said, ‘What can I do? I can’t speak to the cats. I
      can’t speak to the doorman. But there are many hungry
      birds. They might pick up the crumbs.’

      “Again, I walked after the cats, now with a pain in my
      chest, feeling tremendous cold. On the left, I saw a
      church building and thought, ‘There we will find
      help.’ I heard singing, and again, the idea occurred
      to me that it must be a Catholic church. The music
      grew louder, as though trying to convince God that
      they were praying to Him.

      “The mother cat jumped in front of me and climbed the
      stairs, followed by her kittens. I raised my head and
      saw a tall Jesuit priest chasing the cats off the
      steps. But as I was about to shout at the Jesuit, ‘I
      am a cardinal!’ and give an order to accept the cats,
      the mother cat and her offspring ran behind the church
      because from there came the appetizing aroma of food.
      Probably there was a kitchen there. But a second
      Jesuit appeared at the kitchen door and scared the
      cats away. They returned to the avenue and started
      walking north.

      “They walked on the same side of the avenue as the
      Jesuit church and I followed. Then they reached an
      imposing red brick church. An Anglican bishop appeared
      and said to the cats, ‘My dear animal children, please
      go immediately to the animal shelter. There is food
      for you there. We Anglican clergy donate lots of money
      to the animal shelter every year at Christmastime.’

      “The mother cat and her kittens didn’t even meow. They
      knew the authoritative voice of the Anglican bishop.
      They walked uptown and gradually the luxurious
      buildings disappeared, together with the doormen, and
      we saw drab dilapidated apartments.

      “As they walked and the buildings grew shabbier and
      dirty, a door was opened, not by a doorman but by an
      old wrinkled woman in a cotton dress. [She saw the
      cats] and shouted, ‘Oh, little mother,’ and when she
      opened her mouth, I saw she had few teeth. She gently
      ushered the mother cat and kittens inside, who jumped
      happily about because the warmth of the house embraced
      them.”

      The narrative ended as the cats found a safe haven
      with the woman who had little enough, herself. When
      the Pope concluded his dream, the author to whom he
      related it did not make any comment on what had been
      said. But he did write that “I had never seen such a
      sad expression on the face of this man.” Considering
      that this was the same man who had related the horrors
      of his young manhood under Nazi occupation, the
      author’s remark shows the deep impact this dream had
      on the Pope.

      If the Pontiff offered a commentary on his dream,
      Anton Gronowicz does not share it with the reader. But
      we are told that John Paul began to recite the prayer
      of St. Francis of Assisi. “Lord, make me an instrument
      of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love
      ..., where there is darkness, light, and where there
      is sadness, joy.

      Many years after Cardinal Wojtyla had his dream and
      had become Pope John Paul II, he made a pilgrimage to
      Assisi, the birthplace of St. Francis. In the Message
      of Reconciliation he delivered there, the Pontiff
      spoke of the Saint’s love for animal, as well as
      human, beings. And he likened that inclusive love to
      an anticipation of the Peaceable Kingdom, envisioned
      by the Prophet Isaiah, a world in which all God’s
      creatures will live in peace with each other.

      The Pope also said that the “solicitous care, not only
      toward [people] but also toward animals and nature in
      general,” that St. Francis demonstrated is “a faithful
      echo of the love with which God in the beginning
      pronounced his ‘fiat,’ which brought them into
      existence.” And, the Pope added, “[W]e, too, are
      called to a similar attitude.”

      Some who read these remarks are surprised to find in
      them such strong support of God’s other creatures.
      They are surprised to hear the Pope refer to the lives
      of animals as a manifestation of God’s love: lives
      that deserve our “solicitous care.” But I was not
      surprised. By the time I came across a copy of the
      message he gave at Assisi, I had read God’s Broker and
      the lengthy account of the Pope’s dream. And I knew
      that if John Paul II had not wanted this very
      revealing dream to be published, it would never have
      appeared in print.

      So in spite of the policies and pronouncements of
      [religious people] of the same or other persuasions,
      who try to denigrate the value and the importance of
      the lives of God’s other creatures, we know that John
      Paul II had a dream. And although [people] of lesser
      vision and lesser spiritual development have closed
      their hearts and their minds to the needs of other
      creatures, John Paul has given witness to a need for
      the “solicitous care, not only of [people], but of
      animals.”

      In this witness, the Pope is being true to the Gospel
      message in which Jesus also gave witness to the need
      for the solicitous care of all beings: “I tell you,
      whenever you refused to help one of these least
      important ones, you refused to help me.” (Matthew
      25:45 TEV)

      GREATNESS OF NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS
      CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED- M.K GANDHI.
      STOP HUMAN AND ANIMAL SUFFERING - GO VEGAN
      I am only one but still I am one. I cannot do everything but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
      Helen Keller 1880 - 1968

    • Tammy Correa

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
            Go to