Re: WV Animal Shelter killed my puppy...broke the law

  • lazarusoutcast
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005
      A similar situation kept happening in my town. We sat in on city
      council meetings, wrote letters to the newspaper, staged a march
      through our town which ended on the courthouse steps. Eventually,
      they investigated and got rid of the shelter's director. The new
      director is a great animal-lover- the city council made sure of that
      after all the bad press. Find out who on your city council would
      also support you.

      --- In animalrightsactivistresources@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle
      Bailey" <webwiz@c...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > My name is Michelle and I live in Mercer County, West Virginia. I
      just recently joined this group and hope to be able to learn a lot
      about protecting animals in my community.

      > I have one very important question that I'd like to start out
      with, if anyone could help. How do I get started in filing a
      complaint against my local county-operated animal shelter for
      blatantly breaking both WV State and Federal laws when it comes to
      the 5-day holding period before they're allowed to adopt out or
      euthanize?

      > One of my puppies was taken to the animal shelter on December 29th
      at 2pm by a neighbor who mistakenly thought someone had "dropped"
      her in his yard. They euthanized her at 5:30pm the same day...just 3
      and a half hours after she got there. I found out where she was the
      next morning and was the first person in the door when they opened,
      to pick up my puppy. They lied to me and told me she'd been adopted
      out. After pressing them and threatening to go to the magistrate if
      they didn't get my puppy back from whoever took her, they FAKED a
      phone call right in front of me where they pretended to contact
      the "adoptive parents". The employee then stated that the adoptive
      parents had said No, they want to keep her. This went on for 3 days
      before finally the director of the animal shelter called me after
      hours at home and said that she'd just found out that my puppy had
      actually been euthanized. She admitted that they do this all of the
      time, but that this was the first time they'd gotten caught. I've
      got all of that on tape, per advice from my local State police
      station. The director also admitted that they'll run into this
      same "issue" again this week, next week, the next week...etc. So
      they have no intention of abiding by the law.

      > No attorney in my town will represent me because of two reasons
      they've all supplied me with: 1) There won't be a big enough payoff
      to make it worth their while OR 1) They're friends with the county
      commissioner and it would be a conflict of interests. So my question
      is...if a county-operated facility, which is funded by the
      government, does not have to abide by either state or federal
      laws...why does anyone else have to? And has it gotten to the point
      where if the crime you commit doesn't result in a huge financial
      payout, it's ok for you to commit that crime because no one will
      complain/prosecute?

      > I am at my wit's end with this and don't know where to go next. I
      finally talked the animal shelter into releasing the body of my
      puppy to me this past monday...on the 5th day after she'd been taken
      there. They dug her out of their deep freezer located outside behind
      their building and handed her to me in a black trash bag. I had to
      let her thaw out for a day and a half before we could re-shape her
      so that she would fit into the makeshift casket we'd gotten for her.
      This whole ordeal has been a nightmare and has completely devasted
      my family. We helped that little puppy into the world when her mama
      had trouble giving birth, and we've been with her every single day
      of her life. She was only 3 months old. That little baby meant the
      world to my husband and me and we have not been able to get past the
      hurt or the feeling of utter helplessness.

      > Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to at least prevent
      this from continuing to happen, and to hold those accountable that
      make the decisions to break these laws on a regular basis?

      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Michelle Bailey

    • lazarusoutcast
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005
        One further note: I would contact national organizations such as
        PeTA and the Animal Legal Defense Fund.

        --- In
        animalrightsactivistresources@yahoogroups.com, "lazarusoutcast"