Wet Seal Butchers Bunnies

  • Jenie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      From Peta2 at: http://www.peta2.com/tc/t-wetseal.html
      To write to Wet Seal go to http://www.peta2.com/ot/wetseal/index.asp or contact the email addresses below in the article:

      Wet Seal Butchers Bunnies
      While we'd love to simply bask in the glory of our victory against Forever 21, we know that animals need us to keep fighting for them. Forever 21 made the compassionate choice to put an end to its sale of fur, thanks to the efforts of PETA2 Street Teamers. This is a monumental change�Wet Seal must follow Forever 21's lead and take a stand against cruelty to animals.

      Just as PETA was contacted by people who were upset about Forever 21's sale of fur, we've received another flood of calls and e-mail messages about the selling of rabbit fur at Wet Seal stores. PETA contacted Wet Seal to pass on the message that consumers are infuriated to find products made of fur on the store's racks, but the company refused to remove fur from its stores and its catalog. Wet Seal does not seem to understand that the PETA2 Street Team doesn't take "no" for an answer �

      Tags reading "100% rabbit fur" are meant to be a symbol of quality, but those who have seen the cruelty that animals raised for their fur endure are horrified by such a label. Hundreds of millions of rabbits are slaughtered each year for their fur and their flesh. Animals on fur farms spend their entire lives confined to tiny metal cages with no shelter from weather extremes and no chance to dig, jump, or play. To kill the rabbits, fur farmers snap the animals' necks or smash their skulls before stringing them up by their legs and cutting off their heads.

      Top fashion retailers such as Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, and most recently, Forever 21 have paid attention to the consumer backlash against companies that sell fur. Now is the time for Wet Seal to follow their lead and cut out cruelty. It's up to us to make sure that this happens.

      PETA2 wants you to distribute our new Wet Seal leaflets outside malls and Wet Seal stores. If you didn't order a PETA2 Fur Action Pack during our Forever 21 campaign, please order one now. The pack contains a stack of leaflets, "Fur Hurts" cards, and a variety of anti-fur stickers.

      We'll hook you up with a whopping 3,000 Street Team points if you organize a demonstration. E-mail PETA2@... ahead of time, and we'll help you get everything you need for a successful demo�we'll send you extra Wet Seal leaflets and some demo posters, we'll contact local activists to let them know about the demonstration, and we'll even help you get media attention. There are lots of other ways for you to help the animals who are suffering on fur farms for Wet Seal. Click here for a list of actions that you can take to let everyone know that torturing animals is not fashionable.

      Please contact Wet Seal, explaining that you'll be boycotting the chain�and telling all of your friends and family to do the same�until it stops supporting cruelty to animals:

      Joseph Deckop, Interim CEO
      26972 Burbank
      Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
      949-206-4977 (fax)

      Helen Rotherham, Vice President
      26972 Burbank
      Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

      Customer Service
      949-699-4714 (fax)

      Additionally, Vice President Helen Rotherham is temporarily working from Wet Seal�s New Zealand office. During this time, if you are in New Zealand, please contact Helen Rotherham at her home (phone 0-9-524 9385) or her office (phone 0-9-309 6663), and politely let her know that animal cruelty is not fashionable. In the US, dial 011-64-9-524 9385 or 011-64-9-309 6663 to reach her.

      If any New Zealand activists would like to stop by and politely voice their disgust to Helen in person, she is staying at the following address:
      19 Ngaiwi St.
      Orakei, Auckland
      New Zealand

      She can also be found at her office at: