Are America's Live Animal Markets Any Safer Than China's?

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2004
      Humane Living Newsletter <Humane-living@...> wrote:From: "Humane Living Newsletter"
      Subject: Are America's Live Animal Markets Any Safer Than China's?
      Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:59:45 -0500

      For best viewing, please open in full E-Mail window.
      If you do not see the full page, please Click Here.

      To unsubscribe to this E-Mail, please click here.

      Civet Cats

      Another outbreak of SARS in Southern China has focused attention on the region's live animal markets, where researchers have discovered a SARS-like virus in civet cats. The revelation has led to the destruction of thousands of civet cats and has compelled the U.S. to ban the import of the animals. But are American live animal markets any safer?
      Beaver Crossing

      Beavers may be nature's engineers, but they are still only second-best when compared to humans. "Beaver deceivers" have already helped Americans live in harmony with this important keystone species; now the simple device has jumped the big pond to Poland. Conference Call
      We could hardly believe our ears when a National Institutes of Health official proclaimed that he could foresee a time when chimpanzees were no longer used in research in the United States. The HSUS has seized the moment to publicly call for such a
      ban.

      'Mad' for Facts

      The U.S. government may have acted swiftly after a downed dairy cow tested positive for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE, more commonly known as Mad Cow Disease) in December, calling for a number of immediate measures to calm a panicked public. But consumers and animal advocates alike still have many unanswered questions following the first-ever discovery of BSE in the United States. Questions such as: Are my pets at risk of eating BSE-contaminated food? Is beef safe to eat? What further measures are needed to protect consumers and animals? The HSUS has the answers to these and other questions. Think your friends would enjoy reading Humane Living and helping out The HSUS? Let them know...
      Humane Living, January 21, 2004, Volume 2, Issue 2

      We hope you enjoyed reading this edition of Humane Living. Look for your next issue on February 4.

      Humane Living is a free, bi-weekly e-mail publication for subscribers.

      Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy

      Contact: Webmaster - HSUS � webmaster@... � 202-452-1100 � www.hsus.org
      The Humane Society of the United States � 2100 L Street, NW � Washington, DC 20037
      Advertise with us

      Copyright � 2003 The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). All Rights Reserved.

      Some e-mail client programs convert the html e-mail to rich text format. If you have trouble with the links,
      please paste this link http://www2.hsus.org/v/V.asp?Umail=kodiakstar2002@yahoocom&email_id=289 into your browser window.

      To unsubscribe to this E-Mail, please click here.

      Rita Fazio,

      Korea Animal Protection Society (KAPS)
      International Aid for Korean Animals (IAKA)
      http://www.koreananimals.org/index.htm

      Don't turn your back upon their pain, because it's hard to see.They have no other place to turn, They've only you and me.