ITD Update 04/11/03

  • ITD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2003
      "It's Their Destiny"

      News items on Asian animal abuse

      4th November 2003
      Written Declaraion to the EU demanding pet fur ban

      Dear Friends

      A group of five Members of the European Parliament have presented a Written Declaration calling for an EU-wide ban on the import, production and sale of dog and cat fur.

      If a majority of the MEPs (i.e. 314 of 626) sign this Declaration it will automatically be adopted. The closing date for this is 22nd December 2003. Should the signatures number less than 314, the matter will be dropped.

      Although Commissioner Mr David Byrne has made it clear that he has no interest in this issue, this is an opportunity for the MEPs to ban this heart-rending trade completely throughout the EU regardless of Mr Byrne.

      We ask all EU citizens to contact all their MEPs as a matter of urgency to solicit their signatures to this Declaration. Ask them to sign it, and to persuade their peers to do the same. A sample e-mail is supplied below, but please write an original if possible. The available e-mail addresses for the British MEPs are;

      rperry@...,rjeevans@...,atkins@...,
      rcorbett@...,rbalfe@...,pskinner@...,
      nclegg@...,nmaccormick@...,mhoneyball@...,
      jpurvis@...,johnbowis@...,jeanlambert@...,
      readm@...,itwinn@...,euro_office@...,
      g.booth@...,gadam@...,penny_richardson@...,
      gkinnock@...,gtitley@...,emcnally@...,
      emorgan@...,elynne@...,diana@...,ddover@...,
      dhannan@...,cmoraes@...,cstihler@...,bsimpson@...,
      wnewton@...,bkhanbhai@...,sludford@...,botoole@...,
      arlene.mccarthy@...,twynn@...,mep@...

      Citizens from other EU member states can find their MEPs e-mail addresses at http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep5/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN&iorig=home
      Click on the language tab at the top right of the screen then click on your national flag.

      Non-EU citizens should write to Commissioners Byrne, Bolkestein and Lamy to demonstrate world opinion on this issue. Their addresses are;

      david.byrne@...,Frits.Bolkestein@...,Commissaire-Lamy@...

      Sample letter for EU citizens;

      Dear MEP,

      As your constituent, I strongly encourage you to sign the Written Declaration in the European Parliament that calls for a ban on the import,export, sale and production of cat and dog furs and skins in Europe. If you have already signed this declaration, I thank you. If not you may add your signature, before the December 22, 2003 deadline, at these locations:

      Strasbourg: by the Hemicycle (8.30-20.00 hrs)
      Brussels: Room PHS 02A19 (8.30-18.00 hrs)

      European markets have seen a rise in items deceptively called Gae-wolf, Sobaki, Asian Jackal, Wildcat, Goyangi and Katzenfelle. I find it increasingly difficult to shop, knowing that merchants sell unmarked, dyed and misleadingly labeled boots, coats, linings, toys and homeopathic remedies. A ban on cat/dog furs and skins would restore consumer confidence in our manufacturers and retailers.

      I respectfully ask you to sign the Written Declaration by December 22nd to solidify the European Parliament's position and ensure a response from the European Commission. I would also ask you to persuade your peers to do the same. I thank you in advance for helping to prohibit the import/export, sale and production of cat and dog furs and skins in Europe.

      Sincerely,

      Your name, address and country.

      Sample letter for Non-EU citizens;

      Dear Commissioner

      Every year over two million dogs and cats face death at the hands of the Asian fur and skin trade. Animals are slaughtered to decorate a sweater, line a coat or become a trinket. This is the ultimate betrayal for creatures who are instinctively trustworthy and devoted companions to people. I understand a Written Declaration in the European Parliament, currently awaiting review, calls for a ban on the import, export, sale and production of cat and dog furs and skins in Europe. Since the United States enacted a similar ban in 2000, European markets have seen a rise in items deceptively called Gae-wolf, Sobaki, Asian Jackal, Wildcat, Goyangi and Katzenfelle.

      I am hesitant to shop in European stores, knowing that merchants sell unmarked, dyed and misleadingly labeled boots, coats, linings, toys and homeopathic remedies. This not only constitutes consumer fraud, but also erodes global confidence in European manufacturers and retailers. The European Commission should not enable this vile industry.

      You are likely familiar with the many videos, photos and affidavits that verify inhumane conditions for domestic animals in the Asian fur/skin trade. Forensic tests reveal an increase in European merchandise derived from cats and dogs. The European Parliament largely supports restrictions to eliminate these products. In fact, on November 27, 2002, nine Ministers of Agriculture from Sweden, Germany, France, Italy, UK, Greece, Austria, The Netherlands and Denmark asked the European Commission to implement a ban on cat/dog furs and skins.

      I respectfully ask for your prompt review and passage of a regulation to prohibit the import/export, sale and production of cat and dog furs and skins in Europe. Thank you for accepting my comments on this matter of international concern.

      Sincerely,

      Your name, address and country.

      The Written Declaration (17/2003) can be viewed at http://www.europarl.eu.int/Declaration/document/2003/P5_DCL(2003)0017/P5_DCL(2003)0017_EN.doc

      Our thanks to the Kinship Circle for writing the above sample letters.

      Our continued thanks to all of you for your support and for caring enough to try to make a difference.

      From all the team at ITD

      If not through another list, you will have received this email because you either have helped with a campaign or requested to receive these emails in the past. We have no wish to send "spam", so if you do not want to receive similar news items from us or our sister organisation Sirius GAO in the future, just send a blank email to itd@... with subject line "Unsubscribe".
      Our updates are sent in html - if you receive in simple text through another list and would like to receive in the original format, please email itd@... with subject line "Subscribe".

      http://itstheirdestiny.2kat.net