LETTER: DEADLINE 6/11! Ask Passaic County Freeholders To Oppose Bear Hunt

  • Bonnie West
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Alert by FeralPlace@...

      SOURCE: hasla.evolve@... (verizon.net)

      CONTACT:

      Passaic County Freeholders
      The Board of Chosen Freeholders
      County Of Passaic
      401 Grand St.
      Paterson, NJ 07505
      Phone: 973-225-5415
      Fax: 973-742-3746

      SAMPLE LETTER:

      Ladies & Gentlemen:

      Please accept this letter as a petition requesting that you pass a resolution AGAINST the bear hunt on June 11.

      The bear population is too biologically fragile to support a recreational hunt. More importantly, a hunt based on population reduction will do nothing because it does not address the problem of human/bear conflicts.

      Bear/human conflicts exist because urban development replaces bear habitat with human habitat and our behavior often invites bears into our communities. By leaving fragrant items outside, such as garbage, cat/dog food, and grills, we entice bears. Simple changes, like bear-proofing the garbage and storing things inside, discourages curious bears.

      Additionally, aversive conditioning, teaching bears to associate humans with unpleasantness, is successful and should be continued in New Jersey as a tool in this comprehensive plan.

      Again, please pass a resolution AGAINST the bear hunt. Thank you for your consideration.

      Sincerely,