Siberian Tiger killed in Tampa area

  • gmmgreyhound
    Message 1 of 2844 , Jul 31, 2001
      I just became aware of the killing of a 5 y.o.
      male Siberian Tiger in Bushnell, Florida( Sumnter
      County) at "Savage Kingdom", an Exotic Animal breeding
      farm. This "FARM" has MANY exotic animals there for
      breeding purposes only. This is NOT an amusement park/
      tourist attraction or "zoo". It is strictly a breeding
      farm for exotics- for sale to "buyers overseas".( As
      reported by FOX NEWS) This volunteer entered the tiger's
      enclosure,.. he was totally seperated from the tiger only by a
      chain link fence which was reported to be in poor
      condition, (old, weak, rusty. etc.) The tiger, being a wild
      animal- pushed his way through the inadequate fencing ,
      attacked and mauled the man to death. This is very
      TRAGIC!! The tiger was shot to death by "officials" "in
      order to reach the dead man".This too is VERY TRAGIC
      and an OUTRAGE!. I feel EXTREME saddness for the
      volunteer and his family/ loved ones-- he was working there
      as a volunteer to get his hours for certification to
      do more detailed work( like an internship???) with
      large exotics. The MATTER at hand is not only the
      TRAGIC DEATH of TWO LIVES , but-- why was the fence in
      such poor condition,why was the fence not repaired/
      replaced?? Why was the TIGER KILLED instead of tranquilized?
      The tiger was killed after the man had died) This
      tiger was reported to be " a very expensive animal". It
      most certainly IS not the fault of the tiger that the
      fence was in such poor condition! Obviously..this
      incident could HAVE BEEN AVOIDED! There was a "similiar
      accident" at this "Savage Kingdom" "resulting in death back
      in 1997". As I receive more detailed information(
      this just happened today at 1 p.m.) I will start a
      PETITION/ letter writing campaign. Perhaps a USDA internal
      investigation of this " KINGDOM" is in order? ;) This was a
      TOTALLY avoidable incident. This man should NOT have died
      and the tiger should NOT have been MURDERED.( the
      TIGER IS FINALLY AT PEACE,-- no longer a prisoner.)The
      name of the man killed has yet to be released by the
      press pending notification of family. As I said- My
      HEARTFELT sympathies go out to this man and his loved ones,
      as do they go to the tiger. Such a tragedy, so
      avoidable!! The tiger's name was "TIE"/"TYE". gmmgreyhound~
    • veganelfgirl
      Message 2844 of 2844 , Feb 7, 2002
        Join with concerned citizens, celebrities,
        political and noted animal rights leaders to help stop
        cruel factory farming practices in New Jersey and
        across the United States. New Jersey is the only state
        with legislation<br>requiring the development of
        standards for the "humane" raising of farm animals, and it
        is in position to lead the nation in banning
        inhumane farming practices. <br>Certain farming practices
        are clearly inhumane, and must therefore be outlawed
        in New Jersey. Please be part of this historic
        campaign, and help prohibit cruel factory farming.
        Confirmed speakers include: Mary <br>Tyler Moore, Grant
        Aleksander, Peter Singer, Howard Lyman, Wayne Pacelle, David
        Wolfson, Gene and Lorri Bauston, and Sue Coe. The event is
        being organized by Farm Sanctuary, and sponsored by
        Compassion in World Farming, the Fund for Animals, and the
        Humane Society of the United States.<br><br>The
        conference will be held at the Lafayette Yard Marriott in
        downtown Trenton, NJ on Sunday, April 7th, from 9 am to
        8pm. And the Rally will be held at the State Capitol,
        two blocks from the hotel, on Monday morning<br>from
        10am to noon.<br><br>To register please see
        against factory farming in New Jersey is available at
        traveling from New York City to the event, and a special
        package is being offered. For more information, or to
        register please call 607-583-2225 or email
        campaign@.... <br><br>If you have questions, or to register
        over the phone, please call 607-583-2225.<br><br>Farm
        Sanctuary Events