Re: This is not a debating society.

  • jpjp1989
    Message 1 of 2844 , Jul 1 7:55 AM
      As a new member I am realizing that this club is
      not for me. I was a bit surprised to see all the
      debating only because the club summary rather indicated it
      was a place for "like minded" individuals to discuss
      & share info about furthering animal rights. I have
      nothing against debating. It is actually an art form (one
      I personally suck at), but a skilled dabater can
      articulately, eloquently and persuasively argue both sides of
      any issue (irregardless of their personal beliefs).
      I've never seen the merit in debating animal rights
      (of course I'm also introverted and anti-social so
      I'm sure that factors in to my aversion); just as
      I've never seen the merit in debating politics or
      religion. These issues are so emotional (for most people)
      that I highly doubt that any significant number of
      people have their minds changed through the debat
      process. Even though many good points are brought up, I
      don't see where it raises people's consciousness or
      educates the public - when people are so emotionally
      charged, they only hear what they want to and disregard
      the other guy because "he's an idiot anyway". I mean
      honestly, this level of emotion (and sometimes just plain
      nastiness) does not show up on the "book lovers" message
      board. (well ok, actually it does on the sites to
      discuss romance novels...but again those folks are "very
      passionate" about the subject matter. That said (this post is
      turning into somewhat of a fillibuster - stop the strife
      just bore everyone to tears!) perhaps I'll just slink
      quietly away now. Does anyone know of a message board for
      people who think that animals are just furry
      developmentally delayed children who need to be adopted into good
      homes? See I just don't fit in anywhere!
    • veganelfgirl
      Message 2844 of 2844 , Feb 7, 2002
        Join with concerned citizens, celebrities,
        political and noted animal rights leaders to help stop
        cruel factory farming practices in New Jersey and
        across the United States. New Jersey is the only state
        with legislation<br>requiring the development of
        standards for the "humane" raising of farm animals, and it
        is in position to lead the nation in banning
        inhumane farming practices. <br>Certain farming practices
        are clearly inhumane, and must therefore be outlawed
        in New Jersey. Please be part of this historic
        campaign, and help prohibit cruel factory farming.
        Confirmed speakers include: Mary <br>Tyler Moore, Grant
        Aleksander, Peter Singer, Howard Lyman, Wayne Pacelle, David
        Wolfson, Gene and Lorri Bauston, and Sue Coe. The event is
        being organized by Farm Sanctuary, and sponsored by
        Compassion in World Farming, the Fund for Animals, and the
        Humane Society of the United States.<br><br>The
        conference will be held at the Lafayette Yard Marriott in
        downtown Trenton, NJ on Sunday, April 7th, from 9 am to
        8pm. And the Rally will be held at the State Capitol,
        two blocks from the hotel, on Monday morning<br>from
        10am to noon.<br><br>To register please see
        against factory farming in New Jersey is available at
        traveling from New York City to the event, and a special
        package is being offered. For more information, or to
        register please call 607-583-2225 or email
        campaign@.... <br><br>If you have questions, or to register
        over the phone, please call 607-583-2225.<br><br>Farm
        Sanctuary Events