Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Vet Alert! Foods Which Are FATAL to Dogs!!

Expand Messages
  • Brennan Browne
    The following foods can be FATAL to your dog: RAISINS, GRAPES, ONIONS, COCOA, CHOCOLATE & MACADAMIA NUTS Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      The following foods can be FATAL to your dog:

      RAISINS, GRAPES, ONIONS, COCOA, CHOCOLATE & MACADAMIA NUTS


      Written by:
      Laurinda Morris, DVM
      Danville Veterinary Clinic
      Danville , OH

      This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

      I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but. Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Centre and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

      The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a litre of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

      He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given Lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

      This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.


      Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler ' s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

      Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

      Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

      Confirmation from Snopes about the above ...

      http://www.snopes com/critters/ crusader/ raisins.asp
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.