LIONS RAISED FOR MEAT IN THE US???!!! Cape Argus: Animal rights groups fume at internet lion meat for sale

  • Planeta Animal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      Just when one thinks one heard the worst....This is just nauseating. Isn't there anything one can do to stop this.

      http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-238558<http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-238558>

      http://www.capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4915211<http://www.capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4915211>

      Animal rights groups fume at internet lion meat for sale
      March 31, 2009 Edition 2

      John Yeld

      LOCAL animal welfare groups are outraged that a US company is offering lion steaks and lion loin chops for sale through the internet.

      The meat was advertised on the company's website as originating from lions farmed in South Africa.

      But within 24 hours of the activists being alerted last week, the wording was changed and now reads: "Our Lions are ranch-raised in the United States of America."

      The national Environment Department confirmed that both a Cites (Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species) permit and veterinary health permit would be required to export lion meat.

      It said no permit applications had been received by any of the provinces and no permits had been issued.

      "We encourage anyone who has information about this to contact us and we will contact our counterparts in the US to look into the matter," said spokeswoman Roopa Singh.

      Allan Perrins, chief executive of the Cape of Good Hope SPCA, is among those slamming the practice.

      "We are sickened and re-pulsed to know that one of our 'Big 5' is being exploited through commercial farming, to please and tempt the palates of a rich and greedy, indifferent minority who are obviously too short-sighted to see the potential harm that their support of this in-vogue bush-meat trade will cause," he said.

      The US company Brentwood Trading Group offers the lion meat on its site 1-800-Steaks.

      A page headed "Lion meat and lion meat recipes" states, inter alia: "If you're looking for something completely different, this is the product for you!"