NJ cat limit

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002
      To: voicesforrahkim@yahoogroups.comSubject: [voicesforRahkim] OT: New Jersey Township Enacts Cat Limit Source: Animal News Center
      http://www.anc.org/pets/pets_article.cfm?identifier=2002_1031_limit

      New Jersey Township Enacts Cat Limit
      by Sherry Morse

      Posted on October 31, 2002
      Morris Township, NJ officials recently enacted an
      ordinance that permits no more than 10 cats to be kept
      in a household.

      Saint Hubert's Animal Welfare Center
      Animal Welfare Federation of New Jersey

      The new ordinance in addition requires animal control
      officers to seize any cat that:

      is not wearing a license tag and is believed to be a
      stray has injured a person has damaged property
      If a cat is seized and an owner cannot be found within
      seven days, the animal will be made available for
      adoption or euthanized.

      "We don't intend to send out an animal control officer
      (to) seek out violators," said H. Scott Rosenbush, a
      member of the Morris Township Board of Health.

      Written warnings will be issued for first violations
      of the 10-cat limit. Subsequent violations will
      subject offenders to fines of from $50 to $500.

      Individuals who currently have more than 10 cats will
      be permitted to keep their pets.

      Sources
      The Star-Ledger
      www.nj.com/news/ledger/morris/index.ssf?/
      base/news-0/1032513029244140.xml
      Cat Limit Approved by Board of Health
      by Steven McDonald

      Daily Record
      www.dailyrecord.com/news/02/08/12/news4-Catordinance.htm
      Morris Township May Draw the Line on Felines
      by Matthew Katz

      Daily Record
      www.dailyrecord.com/news/02/09/19/news2-cathearing.htm
      Morris Township Puts Leash on Cat Lovers
      by Matthew Katz

      Colleen Klaum