Fw: A heavy heart and a strong warning to all pet owners (crosspost)
- PLEASE CROSS-POST WIDELY.
--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:21:25 EDT
Subject: Fwd: A heavy heart and a strong warning to all pet owners
In a message dated 9/18/02 6:48:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Below is an announcement our vet sent out today. With a heavy heart I
forwarding this to the lists I belong to because one of the two dogs
referenced below was our beloved 2 year old Boxer Rudy that went to the
bridge on Friday morning after an excrutitating night at the emergency
clinic. Necropsy verified his cause of death. He was only outside
unattended for less than two hours on Thursday afternoon. We had been
picking mushrooms all summer from the backyard, but new ones crop up
hours. Our dogs are now only let outside after a thorough check of the
( we have been averaging five or six mushrooms per check) and with
watching and immediately bringing them in after doing their business.
Please check your yards and be ever so vigilant about these killer
mushrooms. Rudy started vomiting at around 9:30 pm and by 10:30 he was
noticebly uncomfortable. By midnight the emergency clinic had him on
pain medicine, anti nausea medications. His bloodwork at one am only
slightly elevated liver levels, so they didn't think toxins. When I
him up at 8 that morning to take him to my vet, he could barely walk and
thought it was possibly a telescoped bowel. My vet thought so too when
saw him, but was waiting for more blood results when he crashed. After
necropsy she asked if we had been having any mushroom in our yard,
presented like the first dog that died two years ago. I hope this makes
sense. It is hard to write with the tears still falling.
Please take heed of the warning. I feel like I failed Rudy because I
make sure he had a safe environment to play. I could not stand to hear
another dog suffered like he did because another owner did not know the
danger of these mushrooms.
I hope you and your furry family members are doing well and enjoying the
I am writing this not to panic you, but to make you aware of a
deadly problem in your yards. This is the time of year when mushrooms
start popping up and most will not cause a problem. However, I have seen
dogs die in the past 2 years after coming in contact with mushrooms from
Amanita family. Only a few in this family are toxic, but the ones that
will cause rapid liver failure and death. The dog does not have to
the mushroom, only come in contact with it and then lick it's paws.
My suggestion to you is to remove any mushrooms in your yard as often as
can to avoid any problem. Two dogs in 2 years is not an epidemic, but my
hope is not to see any more pets die from this. Please wear gloves when
dealing with the mushrooms and wash your hands well, as these are toxic
humans as well.
The Internet has a wealth of information on this at
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/amanita/amanita.html or I
will be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.
As always, we appreciate you and wish you an enjoyable autumn.
Kim Morey, DVM
Woodland Trails Animal Hospital
"Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts, and warmth to our souls."
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]