Fw: A heavy heart and a strong warning to all pet owners (crosspost)

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002

      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:21:25 EDT
      Subject: Fwd: A heavy heart and a strong warning to all pet owners

      In a message dated 9/18/02 6:48:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      mickie@... writes:

      Below is an announcement our vet sent out today. With a heavy heart I
      forwarding this to the lists I belong to because one of the two dogs
      referenced below was our beloved 2 year old Boxer Rudy that went to the
      bridge on Friday morning after an excrutitating night at the emergency
      clinic. Necropsy verified his cause of death. He was only outside
      unattended for less than two hours on Thursday afternoon. We had been
      picking mushrooms all summer from the backyard, but new ones crop up
      hours. Our dogs are now only let outside after a thorough check of the
      ( we have been averaging five or six mushrooms per check) and with
      watching and immediately bringing them in after doing their business.

      Please check your yards and be ever so vigilant about these killer
      mushrooms. Rudy started vomiting at around 9:30 pm and by 10:30 he was
      noticebly uncomfortable. By midnight the emergency clinic had him on
      pain medicine, anti nausea medications. His bloodwork at one am only
      slightly elevated liver levels, so they didn't think toxins. When I
      him up at 8 that morning to take him to my vet, he could barely walk and
      thought it was possibly a telescoped bowel. My vet thought so too when
      saw him, but was waiting for more blood results when he crashed. After
      necropsy she asked if we had been having any mushroom in our yard,
      because he
      presented like the first dog that died two years ago. I hope this makes
      sense. It is hard to write with the tears still falling.

      Please take heed of the warning. I feel like I failed Rudy because I
      make sure he had a safe environment to play. I could not stand to hear
      another dog suffered like he did because another owner did not know the
      danger of these mushrooms.

      Mickie Jost

      Dear Clients,

      I hope you and your furry family members are doing well and enjoying the

      cooler weather.
      I am writing this not to panic you, but to make you aware of a
      deadly problem in your yards. This is the time of year when mushrooms
      start popping up and most will not cause a problem. However, I have seen
      dogs die in the past 2 years after coming in contact with mushrooms from
      Amanita family. Only a few in this family are toxic, but the ones that
      will cause rapid liver failure and death. The dog does not have to
      the mushroom, only come in contact with it and then lick it's paws.
      My suggestion to you is to remove any mushrooms in your yard as often as
      can to avoid any problem. Two dogs in 2 years is not an epidemic, but my

      hope is not to see any more pets die from this. Please wear gloves when
      dealing with the mushrooms and wash your hands well, as these are toxic
      humans as well.
      The Internet has a wealth of information on this at
      http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/amanita/amanita.html or I

      will be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.
      As always, we appreciate you and wish you an enjoyable autumn.

      Kim Morey, DVM
      Woodland Trails Animal Hospital

      Colleen Klaum

      Do you Yahoo!?