Calling all animal advocates--JOIN THE CARAVAN/STOP THE SLAUGHTER!

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2002
      Calling all animal advocates.....JOIN THE CARAVAN/STOP
      THE SLAUGHTER!

      "When we achieve an end to horse slaughter, we
      will be that much closer to ending
      the mass killing of other factory-farmed animals. Horses,
      respected through the ages in
      'partnership' with humans, are the link between domestic
      pets and livestock."

      --Ray Kellosalmi, M.D.

      It is estimated that the PMU (Pregnant Mare Urine) industry
      is responsible for the deaths of approximately 30,000 North
      American foals every year. Considered a by-product of the
      hormone replacement drug, Premarin, these beautiful,
      innocent babies are brutally
      force-weaned at about three months of age, often younger,
      and taken to auction. There, the
      majority (75-80%) are purchased by feedlot operators,
      "killer buyers" who make a living out of fattening up horses
      for European and Asian markets.

      All this for a controversial drug which has recently made
      headline news regarding its
      potential health risks to women! Prempro has been
      associated with a significantly increased
      risk of breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and blood
      clots; further, the 10-year use of
      estrogen therapy appears to be associated with a 60%
      increased risk of ovarian cancer.....

      We say...enough is enough. It's time to kill the industry,
      not women and foals!

      Helen Meredith of United Pegasus Foundation has rescued
      hundreds of foals this year from
      Canadian prairie auctions. Beginning on September 20, 2002,
      these tiny survivors of the PMU industry will begin their
      trek to adoptive homes in the northeastern United States,
      and later to points west. Some will travel in small horse
      trailers from Minnesota to New York, and will pass through
      major centers in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio,
      Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Estimated travel
      time will be 4-5 days, with rest stops and veterinary
      check-ups along the way.

      With every mile traveled, the foals will tell their story.
      They have escaped the cruelty
      of factory farming, where lives are disposable and newborn
      horses are considered a "crop". They have been forcibly
      removed from their mothers' protective and comforting
      presence.
      Theirs is a story of betrayal....the ultimate betrayal
      inflicted by humankind, and it is a story which must be
      told.

      Please join the caravan! This campaign is called Hoofbeats
      Across the Heart-land
      (Premarin Foal Rescue Movement). Here's what we need:
      --ground troops in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana,
      Ohio, Pennsylvania,
      Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York....we need you (or
      your family, friends, and
      contacts) there when the caravan comes to your town and
      meets with the media
      --qualified "horse" people to help hands-on, providing TLC
      at the foals' rest stops
      --qualified "horse" people with trailers to help in a
      "relay" effort to transport the foals
      --a Faunavision van or truck (videomobile) leading the
      procession (all the way or
      part-way)
      --sanctuaries where the foals may stop to rest
      --billeting opportunities for human travelers.

      All volunteers' travel costs will be covered initially by
      gas card or cash; donations will
      be solicited enroute in order to recover costs.

      We are grateful to those who have already offered their kind
      assistance. We need even more help to make the caravan a
      success....through a united effort, we can topple the giant
      and help create a brighter future for the animals. But we
      must act now! This is a
      crucial situation, and the importance of this campaign
      cannot be stressed enough!

      Thank you in advance for contacting:
      Sinikka Crosland, R.N.
      President of TRACS (The Responsible Animal Care Society)
      Director of Canadian Health Action Professionals (Committee
      for Compassionate Living)
      Phone/fax: (250)768-4803
      e-mail: tracs@...

      --
      "But when the buffalo went away the hearts of
      my people fell to the ground, and they could not

      Boycott Montana until they STOP the SLAUGHTER
      Check it out at http://www.wildrockies.org/buffalo

      Give Hope to the Mill Dogs
      BOYCOTT Stores that Sell Puppies!
      http://www.hua.org