A Seal's Option: To be Beaten, Shot or to Drown -- This Year It's Drowning

  • Brennan Browne
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2011
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2011/04/05/pei-seal-quota-ice-584.html

      Seal
      hunt thwarted by lack of ice

      Only
      1 per cent of southern Gulf of St. Lawrence
      quota caught

      A lack of
      ice in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence
      prevented a significant seal hunt this year, say Department of Fisheries and
      Oceans officials.

      In the
      past week, only four boats — from the Îles-de-la-Madeleine — have
      gone out for the hunt, Alain Belle-Isle, communications manager for the
      department, told CBC News on Monday.

      "There
      was a total of just a little over 1,200 seals taken to date," Belle-Isle
      said. "But activity in the gulf is winding down now with the disappearance
      of the ice and with it the seal populations.

      "As
      we understand it, as of Monday morning, there is one vessel that is still
      active but we expect that the activity is going to wind down over the next few
      days."

      Belle-Isle
      said the total allowable catch for the southern gulf this year was set at
      105,000 animals. The lack of ice made for an unusual year for the hunt, he said.

      =====

      "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter."
       ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      ~ George Orwell

      Animal Rights--Rational, not Radical.
      ~ Brennan Browne

      The concept of 'animal rights' values the simple premise that ALL living
      creatures have a "right" to be allowed to live their lives without
      victimization--free from brutality. It is a right that EVERY being
      strives for.
      ~ Brennan Browne

      THE GOVERNMENT’S COVERT, BUT TRUE, DEFINITION OF TERRORISM:
      Any act which threatens to take political or corporate power/profits
      from the status quo.

      ~ Brennan Browne