IWC RECEIVES ANTI-WHALING LETTER W/ 1,863 PETITION SIGNATURES

  • Brennan Browne
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
      THE FOLLOWING LETTER AND MY ANTI-WHALING PETITION WITH 1,863 SIGNATURES WAS RECEIVED YESTERDAY BY THE INTERNATIONAL WHALING COMMISSION.

      Their reply: Your message was read on Thursday, March 04, 2010 10:01:22 AM (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna.

      EMAIL: julie.creek@...
      EMAIL: secretariat@...

      Sirs:

      As global citizens, whales belong to ALL OF US. We vehemently REJECT the recent proposal to reinstate whaling and to drop the moratorium, based on an environmentally disastrous, favoritism, toward the nation of Japan, which has refused to abide by the moratorium since its inception. These criminals SHOULD NOT be "rewarded" by trading off the lives of cetaceans [which they illegally slaughter within a sanctuary] for "coastal " or other types of whaling. Given the Japanese government's record of lies and deception regarding their "scientific" whaling program, which has cost well over 50,000 cetacean lives since the moratorium began -- not including pregnant females and the targeting of endangered species such as the humpback -- the Japanese, Norwegians and Icelanders have shown a complete contempt and total disregard for the wishes of a majority of the world's population which demands an immediate end to all forms of cetacean slaughter.

      Cetaceans now face overwhelming threats to their survival due to global warming, overfishing, ship strikes, sonar disturbances and pollution. Slow reproductive rates and an unacceptably prolonged and horrific manner of slaughter dictate that cetaceans should be spared whaling in ANY form. The IWC must encourage non-lethal methods of cetacean study, revoke Article VIII and devise ways to implement protections for cetaceans, worldwide, including REAL consequences for those nations in violation of the moratorium. ALL whaling--whether it be categorized as commercial, scientific or subsistence--is brutal, archaic, intolerable and must be relegated to the past and ENDED PERMANENTLY.

      We the undersigned, do hereby protest ANY EXPANSION, TRADE-OFFS AND/OR RESUMPTION OF WHALING PERIOD. We demand that the moratorium stand; and that criminal charges be brought against Japan for its continued violation of whaling within a designated "sanctuary"; and for its clear violation of the moratorium by its commercial sale of whale meat for profit. Increased whaling quotas by Norway, Iceland and particularly Japan, clearly point to a highly unsustainable trend which will soon signal the complete demise of our cetaceans, if not stopped immediately. Pandering to the most extremely rapacious elements within our society, in order to strike deals behind closed doors and against the will of the people, is NOT the proper role of the IWC. Giving full and complete protection to our rapidly dwindling cetaceans is.

      Thank you

      U.S. TO SUPPORT DISASTROUS RETURN TO COMMERCIAL WHALING

      March 2010

      The Obama Administration, through its delegation to the International Whaling Commission Small Working Group, appears ready to sign off on a deal that would permit a return to legal commercial whaling. The agreement would legalize Japan, Iceland and Norway's whaling which has heretofore been conducted under reservations to the moratorium on whaling that has been in place since 1986.

      The only chance to derail this backroom deal appears to be direct protest to President Obama. All environmental groups are united in their opposition to the plan to legitimize whaling.

      In this way the President who promised a new way of doing things is vulnerable but only if those of us who love and revere whales make our outrage known to the White House.

      If the United States were to vote for a resumption of commercial whaling it would represent a 180 degree turn around from the position the president took just a year ago.

      On March 6, 2009 the Obama administration pledged it would firmly oppose whaling. Environmentalists thought Obama was signaling a tough US position approaching meetings to examine the proposal that would open the door to legal whaling.

      TO PROTEST THIS RECKLESS POSITION EMAIL THE WHITE HOUSE
      You can paste the following into your email message and add your own thoughts. It is very important to personalize the message so it does not appear mass produced.

      President Obama, you have previously indicated you would strongly support the protection of whales. The statements of your delegation to the NGO caucus at the IWC in St. Pete, FL belies your commitment. I urge you to oppose legalization of commercial whaling. Whales are intelligent and sentient creatures that should not be killed. Thank you.
      Email President Obama and Demand Protection for Whales

      To receive updates on these important meetings sign up for our Twitter
      http://twitter. com/BlueVoiceOrg

      For the whales,
      Hardy Jones

      Take Action - Time is Critical for the Whales

      It is BlueVoice's position that there is no justification for whaling whatsoever. Absolutely. Whales are sentient beings with high degrees of intelligence and self-awareness. They are magnificent and inspiring, beloved to millions around the world. Please forward this to your friends and ask them to take action. The forward link is at the bottom of this email.

      Donate to BlueVoice and support our work to protect the whales
      Protest Greenland's request for a humpback kill quota
      Support BlueVoice and the Whales with a BlueVoice T-shirt
      BlueVoice.org

      Join our mailing list!

      email: contact@bluevoice. org
      web: http://www.bluevoic e.org
    • Brennan Browne
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
        Sorry if you receive multiple mailings, there has been a glitch in yahoo's mail delivery system.

        IWC RECEIVES ANTI-WHALING LETTER W/ 1,863 PETITION SIGNATURES

        THE FOLLOWING LETTER AND MY ANTI-WHALING PETITION WITH 1,863 SIGNATURES WAS RECEIVED YESTERDAY BY THE INTERNATIONAL WHALING COMMISSION.

        Their reply: Your message was read on Thursday, March 04,
        2010 10:01:22 AM (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome,
        Stockholm, Vienna.

        SEND PROTEST LETTERS TO: