GREAT ANTI-HUNTING COMMENTARY!

  • Brennan Browne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2008
      Essay by Cathy Sorbo   -    In Seattle Post-Intelligencer      5 July 2008

      No surprise when animals attack hunters

      CATHY SORBO

      It had to happen sooner or later.
      We were due for another "marauding bear" killing and this
      time the poor furry fellow happened to be on a food run in a
      neighborhood near Key Center, about a 60-mile crow flight from Olympic
      National Park.
      The bear had been seen around the neighborhood for a few
      days and finally tried to enter a house, mistaking it for a large trash
      bin.
      On a KIROTV.com video, a Key Center resident said, "Wow. I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think bears bothered anybody out here."
      This is another story of one rogue bear who was simply
      trying to survive -- one bear who when confronted reared up, an act
      interpreted as "aggressive" giving authorities adequate reason to shoot
      to kill.
      I'll bet the Krispy Kreme people are super-miffed that they didn't get any free press from supplying bait for a trap.
      Surely we humans should be able to figure out how to
      navigate around our inevitable encounters with wildlife in a way that
      doesn't end with firing 16 bullets into a living creature.
      Why not implement a neighborhood bear alarm, similar to the
      concept of a tsunami or lahar warning? Well, not to worry. Bear-hunting
      season starts in August, so that should make all the bear killers happy.
      Speaking of happiness, there are many things that make me
      happy: visits from out-of-town friends, unsolicited hugs from my
      daughter, Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding. But one thing stands out from
      all those warm and fuzzies, and that's when hunters are attacked by the
      animals they hunt.
      In fact, a lot of people don't know this, but the TV show
      "When Animals Attack" was originally titled, "When Animals Attack It
      Makes Me Giggle."
      Call me callous and hard-hearted, but I can't help but
      cheer on the animal that defends its life against the human dressed up
      in clothes that resemble shrubbery armed with the high-powered rifle,
      night-vision scope, GPS unit, tree-stand, animal scents and
      alcohol-fueled macho bravado.
      Recent headlines that have given me great pleasure include:
      "Hunter injured by rhino," "Mountain lion pounces on local hunter" and "Swedish hunter attacked by elk."
      What compounds the wrongness of killing animals is the
      notion that sneaking up on a wild animal and putting a bullet through
      its head is a sport.
      If anything qualifies as a nonsport, it is the carefree
      killing (or injuring and abandonment) of the lovely wild species that
      peacefully roam our forests and mountains. I don't care if you eat what
      you kill, in my opinion there is absolutely nothing at all
      sportsmanlike to this pastime.
      In Washington, there has been a dreadful incline in cougar
      slaughter. The reason lies within the Washington Department of Fish and
      Wildlife's greed and lack of foresight while attempting to placate
      hunters.
      This passage can be found in an April '08 article on the Web site of High Country News:
      "The spike in cougar deaths resulted in part from a radical
      change in the state's game-management plan. After the hound-hunting ban
      passed, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officials quickly
      liberalized hunting regulations in order to control the cougar
      population and maintain the revenue from cougar licenses.
      "They extended the hunting season by six months, doubled
      the legal bag limit, and rolled half-price cougar tags (traditionally
      sold to just 1,000 hunters a year) into big-game hunting packages."
      And you know how hunters are. Once they get the big green
      light to overhunt, they are eager and more than willing to do so. Hey,
      bring the kids! Junior's old enough for his first kill.
      Hunting is not a sport. It is simple-minded blood lust that cheapens life and creates a revenue stream for a chosen few.
      Cathy Sorbo is a Seattle-based comedian; cathysorbo.com.