NEW--TAKE ACTION!! BOYCOTT SEALING PROVINCES!!

  • Brennan Browne
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2008
      http://www.antifursociety.org/SEALS_HUNT.html

      CAN A SINGLE LASER BEAM END THE CANADIAN SEAL HUNT, FOREVER?
      In order to strike a successful deathblow to the sealing industry in Eastern Canada, an intensely FOCUSED and continuously SUSTAINED boycott is essential. It must target the RIGHT individuals to be effective; it must hold fast and STAY LONG; regardless of the SEASON or however many more it may take, for Eastern Canada to finally surrender its centuries-old brutality against seals. Just as a laser beam's focus has incredible power when concentrated on ONE target, this boycott must NEVER waiver in its purpose.

      When sealing is over THIS year, an EAST COAST BOYCOTT will continue to BURN; stoking an INCREASINGLY "HOT" FIRE UNDER CANADIAN SEALERS!

      Last year an extremely clever anti-sealing campaign was launched. It targeted SMALL businesses in Eastern Canadian sealing towns, for boycotts. The idea was to concentrate on those businesses MOSTECONOMICALLY VULNERABLE during TOURISM season. [Restaurants, B&B's, motels, car, boat and bike rentals, sightseeing companies, etc.] Within DAYS of being notified of the boycott via email, local [sealer town] merchants were PANICKING! They promptly called the media to discuss worries over losing their livelihoods. These small businesses were receiving boycott emails from AROUND THE WORLD!!
      http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2007/02/22/seal-dfo.html

      ~ DIRECT QUOTE FROM A PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND MEDIA RELEASE ~

      "Every news byline or sign-off from the Island during the annual seal hunt HURTS THE PROVINCIAL ECONOMY...some companies refuse to buy Island products because they are opposed to the seal hunt...We've had responses from people around the world saying they refuse to come to P.E.I during tourism season because they view us as being the killers of seals..."

      FACT: PEI DOES PARTICIPATE IN THE SEAL SLAUGHTER; KILLING APPROX.
      1,800 SOULS YEARLY!

      It quickly became obvious by such responses, that concentrating an ALL-INCLUSIVE boycott, i.e., tourism, goods & services, internet commerce, etc. FOCUSED STRICTLY ON EASTERN CANADA, was the KEY to persuading sealing provinces to denounce the seal 'hunt' permanently!

      The initial goal was/is to convince individual merchants NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN SEALING [but who support pro-sealing views] that if sealing continues, these small businesses could lose THEIR livelihoods. It would be up to THEM to persuade their sealer friends and relatives that a continued 'hunt' would mean economic disaster for them ALL.

      NOTE: Clannish and stubborn, Canadian sealers will NEVER listen to outsiders; it will take their OWN neighbors and friends who are being penalized economically due to the 'hunt', to convince them to put down their clubs and rifles for good. This brilliant strategy was actually WORKING just as planned! Unfortunately, the campaign's momentum was cut short due to the all-too-familiar infighting which grips so many promising AR campaigns.

      YOU CAN HELP CONTINUE THIS SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN WHERE THEY LEFT OFF!!

      HERE'S HOW!!

      BY TARGETING THE "RIGHT" PEOPLE FOR BOYCOTT!

      This means directing YOUR EMAILS to those who actually have the MOST MOTIVATION to stop the slaughter! NOT rich government bigwigs who have NO STAKE in Eastern Canada's LOCAL ECONOMY!

      * NOT PRIME MINISTER HARPER
      * NOT FISHERIES MINISTER LOYOLA HEARN
      * NOT NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR PREMIER [and multi-millionaire] DANNY WILLIAMS

      SO WHO ARE THE "RIGHT" PEOPLE TO TARGET AND NOTIFY?

      * LOCAL OFFICIALS IN SEALING TOWNS MUST KNOW ABOUT THE BOYCOTT!

      They will be FORCED to hold town meetings with their pro-sealing constituents; forced to seriously consider accepting free job training and lucrative positions in offshore oil development spurred by Hibernia, Terra Nova and other companies thriving in their region. They must re-think generous offers made to them to BUY BACK their sealing licenses; they must consider building eco-tourism as a viable industry in their provinces.

      WHY? BECAUSE IF THEY DON'T THIS IS THE ALTERNATIVE:

      When tourism drys up; when no one will buy products or services from Eastern Canadian companies; when East Coast internet businesses suffer and wither--not because of lack of job opportunities--but because of selfish bloodlust, ultimately, SEALERS WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE [by non-sealing businesses] FOR EASTERN CANADA'S ECONOMIC
      COLLAPSE!

      Therefore, these PARTICULAR mayors and council people are ESSENTIAL targets for boycott emails!

      MAYORS OF NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR
      ~SEALING TOWN OFFICIALS ~

      ST. JOHN'S
      Mayor: Dennis O'keefe
      EMAIL: dokeefe@...

      BONAVISTA
      Mayor: Betty Fitzgerald
      EMAIL: town.bonavista@...

      FOGO ISLAND
      Mayor: Andrew Shea
      EMAIL: info@...

      GANDER
      Mayor: Claude Elliot
      EMAIL: info@gandercanada. com

      Councilor: Allan Scott
      EMAIL: allanscott@...

      Councilor: Carl Smith
      EMAIL: emsmith@... OR carl@...

      * EASTERN CANADA TOURISM BOARDS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BOYCOTT!

      Rest assured that every single email received is IMPORTANT to them. Boycott emails are SERIOUS STUFF. Tourism Boards track TRENDS! When they receive thousands of boycott emails; consistently and over extended periods, [that's why we must continue to send emails daily UNTIL the hunt ends] this sets off ALARMS! These statistics are reported to the
      regional/provincial governments, who in turn, MUST ADJUST THEIR PUBLIC POLICIES--say bye-bye to sealing! [ Or the other option if sealing continues--hello to poverty! ]

      NOTE:
      The tourism boards listed here represent those provinces responsible for the LARGEST portion of the seal slaughter. IT IS IMPORTANT THEY CONTINUE RECEIVING BOYCOTT EMAILS UNTIL SEALING IS OUTLAWED!!

      *** TOURISM BOARDS ***

      -- NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR TOURISM --

      TOLL FREE: 800-563-6353 (Canada and USA)
      TEL.: 709-729-2830
      FAX: 709-729-0057
      EMAIL: tourisminfo@...

      -- TOURISM QUEBEC --

      FAX: 1-514-864-3838
      E-MAIL: info@...

      -- NOVA SCOTIA TOURISM --

      TOLL FREE in North America:
      1-800-565-0000
      FAX: 902-424-2668
      EMAIL: explore@...

      *THE EUROPEAN UNION NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THE EASTERN CANADIAN BOYCOTT!

      Specifically, Stavros Dimas, EU COMMISSIONER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, who is drafting a report on sealing to be presented before the EUROPEAN UNION in June, 2008. IT IS CRITICAL that he receive thousands of your boycott emails!!

      HE IS THE MAN WITH THE POWER! Your emails to him can literally make the difference between whether the EU officially bans seal imports for good or not!

      ** WHEN YOU SEND PROTEST EMAILS TO EASTERN CANADA DON'T FORGET TO CC: THEM TO COMMISSIONER DIMAS! **

      Stavros Dimas -- EU Commissioner For Environment
      EMAIL: stavros.dimas@...

      FINAL NOTE:

      I have INTENTIONALLY pared this email list down to what I believe are the 10 MOST IMPORTANT CONTACTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL EAST COAST BOYCOTT. They represent many months of personal research and strategizing.

      PLEASE REALIZE THAT A BOYCOTT TARGETING THE WRONG INDIVIDUALS
      IS DOOMED TO FAIL!

      Now that we have the correct targets, it's up to YOU to STAY INVOLVED AND SPREAD THE WORD! Email these folks REGULARLY AND OFTEN! NEVER let up UNTIL our goal is MET and SEALING IN EASTERN CANADA IS OUTLAWED!

      P.S.-- Most local politicians and tourism boards do NOT change email addresses. If you experience problems with bad addresses PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY and they will be quickly removed and updated. Contact addresses on this site will stay current until sealing is outlawed!

      ~ IMPORTANT LINKS ~

      HARP SEAL QUOTAS:
      [Charts how many seals are slaughtered by each province, and keeps a
      running tally]
      http://www.carino.ca/quota.php

      EXCELLENT ARCHIVE OF SEALING-RELATED ARTICLES:
      http://www.antisealingcoalition.ca/news.php

      COMPREHENSIVE, STATE-OF-THE-ART ANTI-SEALING WEBSITE FOR THE HARDCORE ACTIVIST:
      http://www.touringnewfoundland.com/

      ~ SAMPLE LETTER FOR EMAILS ~

      [Please vary the wording to make it your own]

      Sirs:

      While the DFO continues to state that sealing revenues bring 50 million
      + to Eastern Canada, the economic losses resulting from a long-term
      boycott of Canada's East Coast may will be in the BILLIONS in the
      not-too-distant future. Most educated individuals understand that the
      sealing industry survives by subsidies--carried on the taxpaying backs
      of the many, for the benefit of the very few.

      I will not be visiting Eastern Canada until sealing has ended and is
      permanently OUTLAWED. In fact, I refuse to buy ANY goods/services from
      your region, including those from the internet.

      I'll be spreading the word far and wide, to friends, family, business
      associates, religious and civic groups and anyone else who will listen;
      imploring them to boycott Eastern Canada until the knuckle-dragging
      brutality of this obscene orgy of death is history.

      Sincerely

      Full name & Country

      ----------------------------

      ~ REVIEWING OUR GOALS FOR A SUCCESSFUL BOYCOTT ~

      A) 100s of thousands--hopefully millions of YOU must get involved in an all-out email campaign which targets ONLY EASTERN CANADA for boycott. The focus must NOT shift away from the sealing provinces or the campaign WILL NOT SUCCEED!

      B) As the ONLY spokesperson for the seals, you must be RELENTLESS AND CONSISTENT in CONTINUING TO EMAIL OUR BOYCOTT TARGETS. Remember to keep those emails coming several times a week until the slaughter ENDS and is OUTLAWED. Be sure to CC ALL emails to Commissioner Stavros Dimas of the EU.

      C) When Canada is successfully shut out of the European market, China will be their ONLY substantial hope for exporting seal products. The majority of seal by-products; trinkets, oils and penises used in Chinese medicines are exported from Newfoundland-Labrador and Quebec. If you'd like to involve yourself in a boycott of Chinese goods, go here and see how you can make a difference:
      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/395884823

      MARCH 30th, 2008 -- 11:45 am

      EYE-WITNESS ACCOUNTS OF AGONIZING EXTERMINATION

      From the Sea Shepherd crew aboard the Farley Mowat...WITNESSING THESE ATROCITIES IS NOW ILLEGAL UNDER THE CANADIAN FASCIST REGIME.

      We encountered the sealing vessel the Cathy Erlene, registered to Sydney NS. Upon approach we saw two small aluminum boats carrying two men each darting from ice floe to ice floe searching for baby seals. It seemed they had a system. The barbarians on the Cathy Erlene were cruising through the ice searching for the few seal pups there were. They carried on their disgusting massacre carelessly firing upon the unsuspecting babies, their only goal to find an maim the infants. We witnessed two helpless victims, meters from the ship writhing in agony,
      hot blood spilling onto the ice and heard their cries as they continued to suffer for a good long time awaiting the small boats to arrive and fulfill their doom. Stepping onto the ice the babies, still alive turn their heads to the approaching man with a club. There is nothing humane
      about this massacre. What I saw today I will never forget, their cries will fill my thoughts and torture my soul. I can say I am truly embarrassed to be of the same race as these cowards and ashamed to be a Canadian today. -Shannon Mann, Canada

      Nothing prepared me for this, no video or previous encounter with the sealers on the ice. I watched in horror and disgust as two murderers clammered from their small boat, club in hand, and smashed in the skull of a baby harp seal. For an hour or so my memories are fuzzy with
      blood, abuse and worst of all the cries of seals as they are brutally killed. We will do whatever we can to expose this unnecessary, disgusting slaughter of life. Canada can not continue to censor its dirty secret any longer. -Laura Dakin UK

      First sight of human life on the ice I see two men lifting a seal impaled through the neck onto a sealing boat... the seal was still moving. There was lots of ice covered with blood everywhere.
      There was a larger boat that the smaller boats were dropping off the seals to be skinned, one of the crew of the boat got up to wave smuggly at us. They were skinning them and throwing the seal carcases back overboard. They call it a seal hunt but I don't think walking up to a stationary seal and smashing its head in is hunting, it is an act of pure cruelty. No wonder they don't want the rest of the world to see what is happening. -Daniel Bishop, England

      It is untrue to say that killing these seals is being done humanely. Today we have seen sealers shooting the baby seals to wound them so they can't flee, beating them with wooden clubs then killing them by cutting the arteries under their flippers. The seals die slowly and in pain.
      It is a horrible thing to see. -Dr Merryn Redenbach, Melbourne Australia

      When I woke this morning I looked through the port hole and saw red patches of blood on the ice and I knew the seal hunt had begun. On the deck I immediately saw a small boat and two men who stopped on a little piece of ice in order to slaughter an innocent baby harp seal. Actually there were two small boats and one sealing ship. The hunters carried a hakapik and bashed the seal's head. Some of the seals were still alive when they were delivered back to the sealing ship where they were finally skinned. -Anne Fourier, France

      The Farley Mowat will continue to document the atrocities of the sealers and the incompetence of the Canadian Coast Guard.

      ~ ONE OF SICKEST SECRETS IN THE SEALING INDUSTRY ~

      The Canadian government has historically STOCKPILED 100s of thousands of seal pelts over the years in warehouses, which are then BURNED or BURIED in landfills at taxpayers' expense. This is an ongoing practice. Why? To keep the price of pelts artificially high in an attempt to create a false market for seal products few want. A final, twisted and tragic irony for seals who suffer unbearable agony at the hands of demons--hacking, stabbing, shooting and peeling them alive--for nothing more than a blood-soaked welfare check which barely covers the costs for their mass murder. http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases
      principal_buyer_of_canadian_seal_skins.html

      http://www.antifursociety.org/SEALS_HUNT.html

      The concept of 'animal rights' values the simple premise that ALL living creatures have a "right" to be allowed to live their lives without victimization--free from brutality. It is a right that EVERY being strives for.

      ~Brennan Browne~

      "Humanely" slaughtered 'meat', is an obscene lie invented and perpetuated by people who are too lazy, selfish and cruel to change their dietary habits. Forcibly denying a creature its right to life, love and companionship can NEVER be humane.

      ~Brennan Browne~