[KoreanDogs] Students 'eat stray dogs'

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2003
      Yoon Choi <yoons_choi@...> wrote: To: KoreanDogs
      From: Yoon Choi
      Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:16:35 +0100 (BST)
      Subject: [KoreanDogs] Students 'eat stray dogs'

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_521084.html?menu=

      Foreign students in Cyprus are eating stray dogs.

      Six Chinese students are reported to have told
      immigration officials they had captured strays and
      eaten them.

      Police in Nicosia say the students will not face criminal charges for animal cruelty. Dog meat is widely eaten in eastern Asia.

      Immigration Department officer Sotiris Tryfonos told the Cyprus Mail: "In a routine check at a Nicosia flat
      where Chinese students live, officers found bones, which apparently belonged to animals."

      The paper says the students admitted eating the dogs and that a couple of live animals destined for the pot
      were found in their flat.

      They are believed to have fed them special food to clean their systems then slaughtered and cooked them.

      It is illegal to eat cats and dogs in Cyprus but officers say it is hard to prove they actually ate the
      dogs.

      Animal welfare groups had suspected Satanists were taking the animals for black magic rituals.

      They are warning the public to keep an eye on people wanting to adopt cats and dogs.

      Veterinarian Zacharias Evangelou warned dogs could carry serious disease that could be transmitted to humans, and that eating them was not very wise.

      Story filed: 12:31 Thursday 14th February 2002

      =====
      Friends of dogs
      http://www.friendsofdogs.net
      Dogs brighten our life with their gift to love and bond. It is our turn to help our dogs. Please help organisations who are fighting to get dogs out of food chain.

      http://www.koreananimals.org/
      http://www.2kat.net/sirius/index.html
      http://www.animalsasia.org/ http://www.linisgobyerno.org/special_projects.htm