Nike's new commercial depicting vicious dogs...correction

  • Rita Fazio <r.e.fazio@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003
      CROSS POST WIDELY!!!!!!

      Nike has a new commercial...correction!

      For those who have seen the first copy of this alert, or do not have
      the ability to view the commercial, it is only fair to give a
      correct accounting, so when you write to Nike, you will have the
      facts, and we will have a much better chance to have this commercial
      pulled.
      Nike has a new commercial, "The Battle," and in it there is a very
      brief segment showing a Rottie and Pit on leashes, snapping at each
      other, and being pulled back before they actually make contact.
      There is no fight scene, and if you blink, you will miss the scene
      completely! They do give the impression of being vicious dogs, and
      with all the hype about these dogs being born vicious, we do not
      need Nike perpetuating this type of misconception. Please do email
      Nike, and politely ask them to cut the scene showing the dogs, or to
      pull the commercial completely.
      The video can be seen at:
      http://www.nike.com/nikebasketball/v2/videopopup/index.jhtml?
      video=battle%20speed

      Please email them, and explain why we feel this is inappropriate!
      Their Email site is at
      http://swoosh.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/swoosh.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

      Following is a sample letter provided by Kirsty Sheridan.

      If you use the following letter, change it at least a little, to
      reflect your own personal thoughts. Please be polite, and
      respectful.

      Hello, I am writing in reference to your commercial, "The Battle," a
      part of which clearly shows slathering, snapping dogs which seem to
      be a Pit Bull and a Rottweiler. This scene depicts the dogs in
      a "stand off" pose, and not in the manner in which I would like to
      see 2 such lovely dogs portrayed.

      I am sure you are aware of how much unneccesary bad press the Pit
      Bull and Rottweiler already get, and this does not help. As long as
      this commercial airs with the dog scene intact, my family and
      friends will not be purchasing Nike footwear! Please reconsider and
      cut the dog scene, or retract this commercial completely, as I am
      sure you would not like to be seen in a bad light by all dog lovers
      worldwide!

      Sincerely,