Greyhound track to close

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      GREYHOUND TRACK TO CLOSE

      We've received information that the flapping track at Westhoughton, near
      Bolton, is about to close. This is great news and means that hundreds of
      dogs will be spared an untimely death at the hands of "owners" and trainers
      who see them as nothing more than racing machines.
      In the short term, however, it does mean that a lot of dogs are in need of
      homes, which is why we're publishing the following appeal.
      Please do try to help if you can.
      This sort of crisis situation often arises when a track closes, but it's
      important to remember that far more dogs would suffer and die if the track
      were to remain open.
      If the characters who race dogs at Westhoughton are not prepared to care for
      them when the track closes, it isn't hard to imagine what would be the fate,
      year in year out, of dogs they considered to be no longer good enough for
      racing.

      Tony Peters, Greyhound Action
      www.greyhoundaction.co.uk

      URGENT - URGENT - URGENT - PLEASE CIRCULATE

      APPEAL FOR HELP TO SAVE THESE GREYHOUNDS

      WESTHOUGHTON GREYHOUND TRACK - TO CLOSE AT THE END OF JANUARY

      This track closes at the end of January, the owner is away on holiday at the
      moment, but intends selling the land for housing development.

      Julie from Sheya Greyhound & Lurcher Rescue (Manchester), has be in contact
      with the local vet (in Warrington), asking them not to destroy the
      greyhounds when owners/trainers take them in, but to contact her first (some
      dogs have already been killed). She is really worried about a "bottle neck"
      occurring, if these dogs aren't able to get moved on into foster homes etc,
      with this track closing so soon.

      Julie doesn't have kennelling facilities herself, but has to use local
      boarding kennels

      Anyone who can help to foster, kennel, or transport dogs:-

      Please ring Julie Morgan of Sheya on 01616 103525.
      Email sheyarescue@...
      Postal Address: Sheya Rescue, 5 Minehead Avenue, Withington, Manchester M20
      1FP

      The number of dogs needing to be rescued is immense. Some have already been
      killed, some have now gone to Ireland.

      These dogs are in desperate need of help, and so too is Julie with such
      limited resources, and in such a short space of time to help.

      PLEASE CONTACT HER NOW IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER

      Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today: