Fw: FYI: New Animal-Killing Coalition!!!!

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      ----- Original Message ----- From: L. French Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:23 PMSubject: NEWS: new animal-killing coalition
      http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021201/1025473.asp

      CONSERVATION
      Expanded wildlife group has new name and mission

      12/1/2002

      By MICHAEL LEVY
      There was a lot to give thanks for this week, despite a Congress so
      bedazzled by the shining excitement of another war that it ignored social
      and conservation issues affecting outdoor sports folks.

      Among the things I'm thankful for is the expansion of the Theodore
      Roosevelt
      Conservation Alliance (TRCA), into the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation
      Partnership (TRCP) - its mission is now set as: "Guaranteeing You a Place
      Hunt and Fish!"

      The TRCA was established three years ago to engage the millions of
      America's
      unaffiliated sportsmen and sportswomen in some of the most important
      wildlife habitat issues affecting the future of our nation's hunting and
      fishing traditions. It was free, so it easily signed up more than 70,000
      individual partners and 1,000 fishing and hunting clubs nationwide.

      Now several of the nation's best-known hunter/angler/wildlife habitat
      groups
      are joining this corps to expand the effort by forming a new,
      full-service
      partnership. To reflect this, the name has been changed slightly, from
      "alliance" to "partnership." And, says Executive Director Fred Meyer, the
      mission is simple:

      To ensure that America's lands will always provide clean water, healthy
      habitat, bountiful fish and wildlife populations, and opportunities to
      hunt,
      fish and enjoy the outdoors.

      In order to accomplish this progressive mission, the new TRCP will
      provide a
      coordinated agenda and build a service organization to address key areas
      of
      wildlife and conservation concerns shared by the nation's hunting and
      angling community.

      Seventy-seven years ago the National Wildlife Federation was founded to bring disparate conservation voices together. It never accomplished that.
      In
      fact, after the tumultuous rise of such groups as Greenpeace - whose
      publicity policies were siphoning off younger, more activist enviros, we
      saw
      most old-line conservation groups try to reinvent themselves.

      With the National Rifle Association on one side (not representing
      hunters)
      and the increasingly strident anti-hunting, anti-fishing community on the
      other, it really was time for someone to talk up sterling virtues of
      habitat
      and conservation promoted so vigorously by Teddy Roosevelt. The TRCA did
      -
      and does - appeal to that more or less silent segment of the outdoors
      sporting community.

      The new partnership aims to tap into the collective expertise from the
      nation's leading conservation organizations in research, polling,
      grassroots
      advocacy, media and communications, and legislative strategy. And the
      executive director is no longer in Montana, but right near the Beltway in
      Washington, D.C.

      Groups now affiliated with the TRCP include Trout Unlimited, Izaak Walton
      League of America, Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society, The North American
      Hunting and Fishing Clubs, Quail Unlimited, Back Country Horsemen of
      America, Conservation Force, Wildlife Management Institute, Citizens
      Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Federation of Fly Fishers,
      International Hunter Education Association, Orion - the Hunters
      Institute,
      Pope and Young Club and Whitetails Unlimited, as well as 1,100 local and
      regional groups and clubs.

      Normally any group that is "free" is suspect. TRCP is funded by grants
      from
      the Pew Charitable Trusts, Turner Foundation, Surdna Foundation, Brainerd
      Foundation, Harder Foundation and Rockefeller Family Foundation, among
      others.

      The bottom line? A more effective means to make America's 50 million
      hunters
      and anglers' collective voice heard. Individuals not affiliated with any
      other group are welcome, too - as noted, for no cost. The TRCP will seek
      out
      elected officials and policy makers, as well as our nation's wildlife and
      land managers at all levels of government.

      They are putting most of their effort into the Lower 48 right now, and
      have
      not addressed the issues of the Tongass or the Arctic National Wildlife
      Refuge in Alaska.

      There is an interim Web site at www.trca.org but right now it won't tell
      you
      as much as this column did. It does, however, let you sign up
      electronically. You can also make a toll-free call to (877) 770-8722 for
      details.

      e-mail: yvel@...

      Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today: