UPDATE/LETTER: AK Animal Abuse Case

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12 7:39 PM
      From: "Lisa Marie"
      myREBAdog@... (att.net)
      Tue, 12 Nov 2002

      The trial for Derek Dunaway re alleged sexual abuse to his dogs, has been moved from Nov. 15 until Dec. 12. The assistant prosecutor working on the case left his position suddenly, and they don't know who is going to take over the case now.

      The dogs were court ordered out of his home and are at an undisclosed location under the responsibility of the Ark. Garland County HS.

      Letters can be still sent to the head prosecutor if you have not done so already.

      Original Post:
      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 03:24:47 EDT
      SOURCE: myREBAdog@... (att.net)

      Head Prosecutor
      Steve Oliver - Prosecuting Attorney
      501 Ouachita Avenue
      Hot Springs, AR 71901
      Main Office Phone: (501) 622-3720
      Fax: (501) 321-2592

      Prosecuting Attorney Oliver:

      The following letter accurately expresses my view regarding this issue.

      I am writing in reference to the case involving Derek A. Dunaway, of Hot Springs, who has been accused of sexually abusing his dog.

      I understand that on September 17th, the Garland County sheriff's department arrested Mr. Dunaway after he admitted to having sexual intercourse with his dog.

      There are also allegations that an individual, who wishes to remain anonymous, reported to the Garland Humane Society and the Garland County Prosecutors department that Mr. Dunaway used Internet communications to admit that he engaged in sexual acts with other dogs within his community, unknown to the animals' caretakers.

      Bestiality is the act of having sexual contact with an animal and it has been documented that many practitioners of bestiality are more prone to other forms of abuse to humans as well. For the sake of your community, I am requesting that you order Mr. Dunaway to surrender his dogs, receive mandatory psychological counseling and probation, as well as be prohibited from ever owning or harboring animals in the future.

      News Article:

      Police files
      The Sentinel-Record

      A Hot Springs man accused of having sexual intercourse with his dog pleaded not guilty to a sodomy charge Tuesday in Hot Springs District Court.

      Derek A. Dunaway, 30, who lists an address of 1204 Shady Grove Road, was arrested Sept. 17 after he voluntarily came to speak with Garland County sheriff's investigators.

      After being read his Miranda rights, he allegedly gave a written statement admitting to having sex with his dog.

      Sodomy is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine. Dunaway was released on the citation less than an hour after his arrest.

      The incident came to light when reported by an out-of-state resident who learned of it through Internet chat room discussions in which Dunaway allegedly participated.

      Dunaway reportedly talked about the incidents and even posted photos on the Internet. The information given was specific enough that investigators were able to identify Dunaway as a suspect.

      Dunaway is scheduled for a hearing next Tuesday to make an appearance with an attorney. A trial date on the case will be set at that time.

      Copyright 2000, The Sentinel-Record, Inc. All rights

      COPYRIGHT NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit research and educational purposes only.

      Colleen Klaum

      Do you Yahoo!?