Please protest norwegian olympic fur!

  • Franck Michel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      Below an action alert. I would like to protest too, but it not easy for me to write a good letter in English.
      English it is not my primary language (I am French).
      If you can send me a sample letter, I would be glad to receive it. My email: fmichel.da@...
      (fmichel.daATwanadoo.fr if you are with no-mail option on this group).
      I will forward the sample letter to French-speaking militants for animals.

      From: Anton Krag <anton@...>
      Subject: PLEASE PROTEST NORWEGIAN OLYMPIC FUR!

      Appeal for help:
      PLEASE SEND A PROTEST AGAINST NORWEGIAN OLYMPIC FUR!

      S U M M A R Y:
      THE OFFICIAL NORWEGIAN OLYMPIC UNIFORM CONTAINS A HOOD MADE OF RACCOON DOG
      FROM CHINA. OUR AIM IS TO GET THE SPORTING AUTHORITIES TO REMOVE THE FUR
      BEFORE THE GAMES START. PLEASE HELP US PUT PRESSURE ON THE NORWEGIAN
      CONFEDERATION OF SPORTS! PROTEST TO: fellesadm@...

      B A C K G R O U N D:
      The winter Olympics are taking place in Torino from 10-26 of February 2006.
      Unfortunately the official Norwegian Olympic uniform contains real fur.

      When the uniforms were released in December last year the Norwegian Animal
      Welfare Alliance (NAWA) contacted the Norwegian Confederation of Sports to
      make our views known.

      The Norwegian Confederation of Sports was not able (or willing) to provide
      documentation about the origins of the furs. NAWA obtained a piece of the
      fur an had it DNA tested in Germany.

      The results show that the fur is raccoon dog. Also, according to the
      manufacturer, Phenix of Japan, the fur is from China. This is particularly
      disturbing to us considering the recent exposure of the Chinese fur trade (
      http://www.animal-protection.net/furtrade/chinafur.html ).

      NAWA informed the The Norwegian Confederation of Sports about our new
      information on 25 January. However, the sporting authorities have still not
      decided to remove the furs. We find this surprising as the fur is simple to
      remove as it is connected to the coat by a zipper.

      NAWA has mobilised pressure locally. Now we ask you to help us put
      international pressure on the Norwegian Confederation of Sports!

      C O N T R I B U T E:
      Please send a strong protest in polite language to:
      The Norwegian Olympic Committee and Confederation of Sports
      Address: Serviceboks 1, UllevÄl Stadion, 0840 Oslo, Norway.
      tel: +47 21 02 90 00, fax: +47 21 02 90 01,
      email: fellesadm@... & solveig.holst@...
      www: http://www.idrett.no

      Phenix clothing
      email: internationalcontact@...
      www: http://www.phenix.jp/

      I N T E R N A T I O N A L M E D I A C O V E R A G E
      OSLO (AFP) - Animal rights activists called on Norwegian sporting
      authorities to remove fur that adorns the official garb of the Scandinavian
      country's Olympic team headed for Turin in Italy next month. "Representing
      Norway as a nation, dressed in fur, is to take an extremely controversial
      political stand," Live Kleveland with the Norwegian Animal Welfare Alliance
      told AFP. The Norwegian delegation will be dressed in red and white gear
      equipped with hoods rimmed with fur, probably from Chinese raccoon dogs. "We
      have six hours of film showing that raccoon dogs in that country are bred in
      abominable conditions: they are skinned alive, they are killed in an
      extremely brutal manner, they are transported in tiny cages," Kleveland
      said. Her group has handed over the film to the Norwegian Confederation of
      Sports, which has pledged to look into the origin of the fur used for the
      Olympic costumes. "If we discover unacceptable facts related to the origin
      of the fur, we will of course take the consequences," head of the
      confederation Karl-Arne Johannessen said in a statement. In the meantime,
      the sporting authorities have left it up to each individual athlete to
      determine whether or not to remove the detachable fur from their hoods.
      Kleveland meanwhile emphasized that she and other activists would "do
      nothing that could detract from the Norwegian athletes' performance during
      the Olympics."
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060113/lf_afp/oly2006noranimal_060113163659

      ABOUT NAWA
      http://www.dyrevernalliansen.org/english.php