FW: [HelptheAnimals] Please Act: Toronto Film Festival Promoting Cat Torture

  • Alexandra Yurkiw
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004
      -----Original Message-----
      From: BoldChapeau [mailto:boldchapeau@...]
      Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 6:29 PM
      To: Annie
      Subject: [HelptheAnimals] Please Act: Toronto Film Festival Promoting
      Cat Torture

      Subject: [Chickadee-L] Toronto Film Festival promoting cat torture
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:27:41 -0400
      From: <MaryFinelli@...>

      Forwarded message:
      PLEASE CROSS-POST TO ALL LISTS-
      This is an URGENT request to boycott and/or write the Toronto Film
      Festival unless they remove "Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat" from
      their "REAL TO REEL" program. This is a film that, by its simple
      existence, glorifies that atrocities committed by three youths in 2001
      when they videotaped the skinning alive of a domestic cat and called it
      art. Several of the police who watched the videotapes had to stop
      watching, some of them cried. (And cops see a LOT of horrific stuff!!)
      The three youths were all given slaps on the wrist (thanks to our
      shameful lack of animal welfare laws in Canada) and are are now out on
      the street today... sick minds capable of further atrocities.
      Before reading the following article that appears in today's Toronto
      SUN,
      PLEASE NOTE the following contact numbers and faxes. Pls let them know
      how disgusted you are and, if you were planning to go,
      please tell them you are boycotting the festival if this film is not
      pulled. THANK YOU for the animals!!!
      Contact:
      Lynnette Gryseels (in the Press Office) at:
      lgryseels@... <mailto:lgryseels@...>
      Also, PLEASE FAX the press office at: 1-416-581-0214.
      (You can address your faxes to: Michele Maheux, Managing Director,
      Toronto Film Festival)
      or CALL: 1-416-934-3200
      ----------
      Monday, August 30, 2004
      COLUMNIST
      Sat, August 28, 2004
      It gets even loopier
      By MIKE STROBEL -- For the Toronto Sun
      Casuistry: (1) The act of deciding questions of right from wrong. (2)
      Clever but false reasoning.
      And here we thought the Kensington cat snuff film was evil, pure and
      simple.
      That we were right to revile the three goofs who made it and be repulsed
      by their work.
      That nothing, nothing, could justify it.
      Now along comes Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat.
      It premieres at the Toronto Film Festival Sept. 14.
      The producer gave me a tape, since I wrote about the case.
      You need not be a cat-lover to remember: Jesse Power, Anthony Wennekers
      and Matt Kaczorowski, all 20-ish, made a snuff film one Friday night in
      2001.
      For 17 minutes, they tormented, tortured, and oh, so, slowly, killed a
      gentle, striped female cat in a Kensington house.
      The unlucky pet was later found skinned in a beer fridge.
      It was art, said Jesse Power, the lead goof.
      A few of Toronto's loopier artistes defended them, but hardly anyone
      else did. I mean, this was the Bernardo/Homolka of animal cruelty cases.
      Now, at last, the Three Stooges have their say.
      Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat is produced by Linda Feesey and
      directed by Zev Asher. She made Sex and Cerebral Palsy. He made What
      About Me: The Rise of the Nihilist Spasm Band. They are not Disney.
      To set the mood, they open Casuistry with scenes from a 1980
      "performance art" flick, in which two cats are disembowelled and worn as
      hats.
      Istvan Kantor filmed that gem. He has since won a Governor General's
      Award.
      But Jesse Power is the star of Casuistry.
      (It's his special word, right before "cat" in the dictionary.)
      He's even the soundtrack, yowling his Anti-Meat Eating Song.
      He speaks first in shadow, then, as he warms to the topic, in full view.
      His bangs dangle sexily. His eyes toy with the camera. "Man, am I
      charismatic," they say. "And misunderstood."
      And a whiner.
      The cops "went all righteous on me."
      Or, "I never got to eat the cat, but a lot of other people are feasting
      off of this cat."
      Or, things got gory because he and his pals were "disorganized" and one
      of them gave him a dull razor. Plus they were dozy on drugs.
      And, anyway, "everything takes a long time to die, no matter what it
      is." He got 90 days, on weekends.
      He blames the papers, and society, and the young woman who called the
      cops (in hopes of a reward, says our Jesse).
      Pal Wennekers even manages to blame cats, "just a smarter version of
      rats, an artifact of human culture."
      Sometimes, bull-fights or squealing swine flash across Casuistry.
      Remember, Power's "art video" was to show the "hypocrisy" of pets in a
      world of abattoirs.
      And, step right up, see Jesse Power chop off a runt chicken's head. See
      him cuddle a rotting pig, play puppet with a baby orangutan's corpse.
      There is none of the Kensington tape. The filmmakers couldn't get their
      hands on it.
      They also couldn't find any backers, even in usually fertile arts
      councils and grant offices. Total budget was, oh, $500.
      Apologists were a dime a dozen, though.
      A friend of Matt's tells us how the guy is a talented writer and once
      asked for a teddy bear.
      "Artists" say things like: "Young men, as they're growing up and
      learning how things work, they always kill something. It's part of
      growing and developing as a young person."
      Det. John Margetson, the humane society and the like, bring some balance
      and sense, thank goodness.
      "I cannot condone, or condemn, what (Power and Co.) did," says Zev
      Asher, down the line from Montreal.
      "I think it was a misguided adventure, that they were inebriated and did
      something sick and stupid.
      "I think Jesse is an artist. I don't think this was art at all, though I
      understand what he was trying to do."
      I dunno. You should see those 17 minutes, Mr. Asher.
      I have. So when Jesse Power smirks that maybe he'll be "torn apart by a
      cougar" when he goes camping ...
      .... it's hard not to root for the cougar.

      "Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is --
      whether its victim is human or animal --we cannot expect things to be
      much better in this world.. We cannot have peace among men whose hearts
      delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or
      even tolerates such moronic delight in killing we set back the progress
      of humanity."
      Rachel Carson

      "A single voice may not be heard, but the voices of many
      cannot be ignored. " ~ Author Unknown

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rt08ln/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
      D=groups/S=1705082948:HM/EXP=1093994924/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
      p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=643558145>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

[...]