AZ:Dog Day Afternoon: a burned house, a terrified neighborhood and a dead dog.

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2004
      Please write those letters and even though
      it will be very hard, please be respectful. Thanks!

      Rita

      Arizon residents, If you are interested in joining
      a protest demo. against this disgusting display of
      force and cruelty, please email
      Pat at: Kalishiva@... (msn.com)
      entitle it PROTEST.

      To read the entire story, go to: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/
      and on the site, click on the following picture.

      Dog Day Afternoon
      Sheriff Joe 's goons launched an assault to make a misdemeanor arrest. The Raid left a burned house, a terrified neighborhood and a dead dog.
      BY JOHN DOUGHERTY
      john.dougherty@... (newtimes.com)

      Justin Delfino looked out the window of his Ahwatukee home and couldn't believe what he was seeing.
      It was shortly after noon on July 23 and several men dressed in black jeans and green shirts were getting out of an unmarked white Suburban, casually putting on flak jackets and helmets.

      Soon the men were lingering in front of his neighbor's house in the upscale gated subdivision of quarter-million-dollar homes.

      Delfino never would have guessed that he was witnessing the final preparations by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office SWAT team moments before it unleashed a barrage of tear gas grenades into his neighbor's home.

      "They looked unprofessional. They were getting dressed on the scene. They weren't organized," Delfino, 22, says.

      From his vantage point inside his home, Delfino couldn't see that deputies had rolled an armored personnel carrier into the neighbor's front yard as they prepared to storm the house.

      And in the ultimate display of cruelty, a SWAT team member drove a
      dog trying to flee the home back into the inferno, where it met an
      agonizing death.
      Deputies then reportedly laughed as the dog's owners came unglued as
      it perished in the blaze.

      "I was crying hysterically," Andrea Barker, one of the dog's owners,
      tells me. "I was so upset. They [deputies] were laughing at me."

      Making fun of the 10-month-old pit bull puppy's death wasn't enough.

      Jackie Mercandetti

      An Ahwatukee residence
      looked more like a war zone,
      following a MCSO strike.