Athletes enraged over dog killings

  • animallady12001
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Athletes enraged over dog killings

      SAY COC SHOULD TAKE A STAND
      By KEVIN CONNOR, TORONTO SUN

      SOME OF Canada's Olympic athletes are outraged the Canadian Olympic
      Committee won't take a stand against Athens officials who are
      poisoning up to 15,000 stray dogs in the city so the country looks
      pristine during the games. "It's horrible, but it has nothing to do
      with us. We have no official comment," said COC spokesman Stacey
      Smith.

      Since Athens officials are doing this for the Olympics, it has
      everything to do with the COC, said Olympic runner Leah Pells.

      "It makes me sick. The COC is pathetic and they need to take a
      stand. It's embarrassing to me that they won't do anything," Pells
      said.

      'ILLS OF SOCIETY'

      "Sporting organizations can and should influence the ills in
      society," said Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler Daniel Igali.

      Poisoning is a slow, agonizing death, Lynda Elmy of the Toronto
      Humane Society said.

      "We should all stand up and there should be a huge outcry against
      this because we are sending athletes to the games. It's just
      appalling," Elmy said.

      AESTHETIC REASONS

      Athens officials have said the city needs to be dog free for the
      games for aesthetic reasons, said Dianne Alden of Greek Animal
      Rescue Canada, which is working with international animal protection
      groups to stop the slaughter.

      "It's deliberate, appalling -- people need to know," she said.

      It's not a situation we are proud of, said George Ayfantis,
      spokesman for the (Greek) Embassy of the Hellenic Republic in
      Ottawa.

      "It's not automatic that 15,000 will be killed. Poisoning dogs is
      traditional but now illegal. Local officials have extended autonomy
      and it's done at night. It's considered a minor offence and public
      prosecutors and police don't want to go after elected officials," he
      said.

      "There are animal lovers around the world expressing their fears.
      The embassy is doing their utmost for their cause."