Introduction

  • Neal Robbins
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      My name is Neal Robbins and I have just joined this group. I have
      been to the Middle East twice. The first time was while I was in the
      Air Force. I was stationed in Turkey for a year. My tour of duty was
      from July of 1981 to July of 1982. The second time was as a civilian.
      I taught English at the Manarat School in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. That
      was in 1999. I left Saudi Arabia in the very early part of 2000.
      I was a graduate student in Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures
      at the University of Texas at Austin. That included studying Arabic
      and Hebrew, as well as taking courses on Middle Eastern history and
      archaeology.
      I will be posting messages on various aspects of Middle Eastern
      studies on a regular basis. And I welcome any comments or discussion
      on what I post.

      Neal Robbins

      P.S. I have studied some Middle Eastern languages on my own. For
      example, I did self-study in Turkish and Akkadian. I am now doing
      some independent study of Avesta.

      P.P.S. I first took Arabic while at the University of Florida at
      Gainseville in 1977. I was a graduate student in philosophy at the
      time.
    • ancientarcheology
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
        Welcome Neal! great to have you as a member. I was considering going
        to Graduate school at the UofT-Austin for that same exact major
        within in a year or two. My name is Marc, I am the group moderator
        here. My friend Alex is also a member who together we went to Amman
        Jordan for a month over the summer of 2002. We studied Arabic and the
        Arab-Islamic Emipire. We went all over Jordan and saw a lot of great
        sites. I love archeology and history related to the Middle East
        regardless of the time period. I have also studied modern Hebrew and
        currently I am looking forward to studying Aramaic as well. I have a
        couple of websites that teach Aramaic that I'll post as well. I just
        finished reading your posts on the Nabatean kings and I enjoyed them
        especially since I just finished reading Josephus: the essential
        writings by Paul Maier. I'm glad I read your post b/c I didn't know
        that Aretas I was the king of the Nabateans, as well as the King of
        the Arabs. In the Maier book it states him as the king of the Arabs,
        which even though I knew the Nabateans were a people of Arab origin,
        I assumed he was a distinct person between the Arab-kingdom vs the
        Nabatean-kingdom. It wasn't until I read your post that I went back
        and found that Josephus named Aretas twice, once as King of Arabia
        and once as King of Petra, both being the same person. For some
        reason I didn't make the connection. The only reference I found to
        the name "Nabateans" in the Maier book was when John of the
        Hasmonians was ambushed and killed at Medaba while on his way to
        store his military equipment with friendly Nabateans. why does
        Josephus seem to minimize the Nabateans when they were such a major
        trading post along the spice route? Even the Romans acknowledged this
        by over-running it.
        Aretas I, was defeated by Aristobolus,according to Josephus but he
        doesn't say what happened to him, or how he died. Was it a natural
        death or did he die by murder, defeat, etc?

        Thanbks Neal for your posts, look forward to more of them.
      • Neal Robbins
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2004
          Thanks, Marc; I'm glad you like the postings I made. I'll be posting some more soon. That trip you made to Jordan must have been a great experience. As you said, Jordan has a lot of good archaeological sites.
              UT Austin is a good school for Middle Eastern studies. As I mentioned, I attended that university for several years. If you go to UT Austin, you will enjoy it. The university is great and the city of Austin is a fun place to be.
              You mentioned that you will be posting some websites that teach Aramaic. I've thought about studying that language.
              I like this group and enjoy being a member of it; I'll post some messages today.

          Sincerely,
          Neal

          P.S. I have also wondered why Josephus minimized the importance of Nabataea. I'm not sure how Aretas I died

          ancientarcheology <IMIGRANT58@...> wrote:

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?