Karnak Temple Complex - Amon-Re Section

  • Neal Robbins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2006

          The Amon-Re Temple is a portion of the Karnak Temple Complex. It was during the reigns of several pharaohs that the Amon-Re Temple was built.
          There are ten pylons in the area of the Amon-Re Temple. The first one was never finished. It was around several structures, one of which were boat shrines. They were built to honor the deities Ra, Khonsu, and Mut. There is also the kiosk of Taharqa. Two lines of ram-headed sphinxes originally led to the secone pylon. They had to be removed when the second pylon was made. These images were relocated to the open portion.
          The Hypostyle hall is one of the major parts of the Amon-Re Temple area. Ramesses I started the work on it. The reign of Ramesses I was 1295-1294 BC. Set I also had some work done on this structure. His son Ramesses II completed the Hypostyle Hall. [Note - Seti I ruled in the years 1294-1279 B.C. The reign of Ramesses II was 1279-1213 B.C.
          Battles are shown in the artwork on the outside walls. The imagery involves Set I on the north wall and Ramesses II on the south one. Some scenes on the south wall have to do with the peace treaty that Ramesses II signed with the Hittites. This agreement was made in the 21st year of his reign. There is a small temple of Ramesses II on the south side of the forecourt. Some art on it depicts Ramesses II slaying prisoners. Amon-Re is shown watching the actions of the pharaoh.
          The temple complex also includes a festival hall of King Tuthmosis III. One purpose of it was for celebrating the Hed-Sed of Tuthmosis. It was also used for the yearly Opet Festival.
          A hall of records is in the temple complex. The sixth pylon leads into it; this pylon was built by Tuthmosis III. The pharaoh had records of his tribute there. The years in which Tuthmosis III actually ruled were 1458-1425. Queen Hatshepsut ruled as regent from 1479 to 1458 B.C.
          The Amon-Re temple complex is very spectacular. It covers about 250,000 square meters.

      Neal Robbins